Force users to sync SPO sites

Brass Contributor

Hi!

I'm wondering a possible solution for the following: I want to force a bunch of users to sync a limited number of SharePoint Sites with their OneDrive for Business account.

I tried to map this SharePoint sites as a local drive letter, but the users don't want it as this way, they want it as a new site in their OneDrive account. I also considered that is it necessary to the users to have permissions on the SharePoint Site before synchronized it, I assume that.

I am thinking in use PowerShell to force the sync each one of the SharePoint sites or even use the SDK to try it. Before all of that I gave a look to O4B administrative templates, but unfortunately, is it not possible to do what I was required for

Has anyone tried something similar?

Thanks!  

8 Replies

Why not just share the SharePoint sites with the users and they'll show up in OneDrive?

What do you mean by that? If a share a SharePoint site, the only that I'm doing is to add this person (or group) to the site permission, and they will be able to access to the site, but not to sync it automatically, I'm right?

Why would they need to sync the files? The files would remain in one location and they would then be able to access the files for editing or reference. Seems that having multiple copies of a set of files would just lead to confusion on what is the master copy of record.

yes! i want this too. I want to have certain company files already in a users onedrive account when the join the company or move to a new machine.

PS i dont think Cary understands what you are requesting.

Exactly, this is what I want to implement, imagine to have a bunch of users that have joined to the company, and they have automatically synced some SharePoint sites by default, or even If you want to deploy O4B for a new department and it is needed to have synced some sites or libraries

I know that at first glance, it is weird to have this, but I think that in my organization would help to have this automated. Some users with some SharePoint sites synchronized and with the folder in the laptop.

I know that at first glance, it is weird to have this, but I think that in my organization would help to have this automated. Some users with some SharePoint sites synchronized and with the folder in the laptop.

You might be able to do it via PowerShell.