Announcing New File Viewers Available for OneDrive For Business

Microsoft

Our vision here on the OneDrive for Business and SharePoint team has always been to give you the best experience for all your files. While you’ve always been able to store basically any file with us, we have been investing heavily in our web viewing technology and now view over 250 different file formats (see below for the full list) in OneDrive and SharePoint!

In the past, if you had native Adobe formats like Photoshop and Illustrator, 3D files, DICOM images, or even some of our own formats like Visio, you would have to resort to a separate viewer (or worse, pay for a third-party solution to manage these files when your organization may already be getting OneDrive with Office 365). Today, we are excited to announce support for these formats, and more.

Last year at Microsoft Ignite, we added support for major Adobe file formats, including Photoshop (PSD) and Illustrator (AI), in addition to our long-standing support for the Acrobat format (PDF). Also last year, we improved our video player to make your experience significantly faster by streaming high-quality videos without requiring them to fully download before playback.

image1.jpg

Today, we build on that to add support for 3D formats (3MF, FBX, OBJ, PLY, STL), and this lines up very nicely with what we have previewed in the Windows 10 Creators Update, which is coming soon (more information available here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/upcoming-features). Of course, we are completely cross-platform, so Mac and Linux users get seamless 3D support in OneDrive and SharePoint, all without requiring any browser plug-ins.

globe.png

If you’re in the healthcare field, we’ve also added support for DICOM images, with much more coming later in the year – letting you view x-rays, MRIs, CT scans, and more through OneDrive and SharePoint, which is fully HIPAA compliant by the way (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/TrustCenter/Compliance/HIPAA).

image3.jpg

And saving perhaps the best for last, we’ve integrated Visio (VSD, VSDX) viewing as well, making it much easier to share your ideas with the world using OneDrive and Visio together.

image4.png

When you consider all of this, plus the plethora of other files we support viewing, including Office files (where we support editing and coauthoring across web, desktop, and mobile) to even viewing and editing source code, we hope it’s clear that OneDrive is the place for all your files! We aren’t done of course, and we will keep bringing even more file formats to our viewers in the future and will keep you updated as we do. Finally, we’re eager to hear from you on what formats we should tackle next – either in the comments below, or on our UserVoice site, here - https://onedrive.uservoice.com.

Thanks

Nicolas Cabeen - OneDrive/SharePoint Program Manager

PS – here’s the full list of file types that we now support viewing online in OneDrive for Business and SharePoint.

Documents:

csv, doc, docm, docx, dotx, eml, msg, odp, ods, odt, pdf, pot, potm, potx, pps, ppsx, ppt, pptm, pptx, rtf, vsd, vsdx, xls, xlsb, xlsm, xlsx

ai, arw, bmp, cr2, eps, erf, gif, ico, icon, jpeg, jpg, mrw, nef, orf, pict, png, psd, tif, tiff

Video:

3gp, m4v, mov, mp4, wmv

3D:

3mf, fbx, obj, ply, stl

Medical:

dcm, dcm30, dic, dicm, dicom

Text and code:

abap, ada, adp, ahk, as, as3, asc, ascx, asm, asp, awk, bash, bash_login, bash_logout, bash_profile, bashrc, bat, bib, bsh, build, builder, c, c++, capfile, cc, cfc, cfm, cfml, cl, clj, cls, cmake, cmd, coffee, cpp, cpt, cpy, cs, cshtml, cson, csproj, css, ctp, cxx, d, ddl, di, dif, diff, disco, dml, dtd, dtml, el, emakefile, erb, erl, f, f90, f95, fs, fsi, fsscript, fsx, gemfile, gemspec, gitconfig, go, groovy, gvy, h, h++, haml, handlebars, hbs, hcp, hh, hpp, hrl, hs, htc, hxx, idl, iim, inc, inf, ini, inl, ipp, irbrc, jade, jav, java, js, jsp, jsx, l, less, lhs, lisp, log, lst, ltx, lua, m, make, markdn, markdown, md, mdown, mkdn, ml, mli, mll, mly, mm, mud, nfo, opml, osascript, out, p, pas, patch, php, php2, php3, php4, php5, phtml, pl, plist, pm, pod, pp, profile, properties, ps1, pt, py, pyw, r, rake, rb, rbx, rc, re, readme, reg, rest, resw, resx, rhtml, rjs, rprofile, rpy, rss, rst, rxml, s, sass, scala, scm, sconscript, sconstruct, script, scss, sgml, sh, shtml, sml, sql, sty, tcl, tex, text, textile, tld, tli, tmpl, tpl, txt, vb, vi, vim, wsdl, xhtml, xml, xoml, xsd, xsl, xslt, yaml, yaws, yml, zsh

61 Replies
Awesome news for SPO and ODFB!! Great job

Good job on this Stephen, but as a demanding customer I want more!

When will visio display thumbnails like other files do ?

When you support .markdown, I think many would expect it to render, not just viewing like a .txt file.

Thanks

Hi Steven, Visio thumnails and a rich markdown viewer are both on our watchlist, and you should start seeing Visio thumbnails later this year!

Great stuff OneDrive team!  Really killing it lately.

As for other formats.  I know this one is a little tricky because of some historical capability/web service endpoints in SharePoint, but it would be pretty handy to be able to store and then view/read JSON files in OneDrive instead of just getting a "not found" error.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will take it back to engineering. :)

Great news!

How about CAD files?

Oddly enough,  just this week I have had several users asking about the inability to launch/play .wav files directly from SP libraries, but it seems like that's about the only file extension not included in your list. Any chance to get that looked into - it seems as though if video files could be handled, then audio files could too.

Currently, the only viable workaround for users is to open the library in Windows Explorer and play the files from there, or download the files.

CAD files are in the works. :)

Let me share with engineering. Thanks for your post!

Great work guys give yoursleves a pat on the back.

One my customers always seem to struggle with is fillable PDF forms, any way to open fill and save/save as coming to SPO or Edge?

Hi Peter, 

Glad you like the progress! :)

Thanks for the PDF suggestion, we'll look into it!

Thank you Stephen, Let me know if more details are needed about this.
Question: Does this also apply to OneDrive consumer? I can't assume the answer. Thanks.
Does this solve the issue when searching for Visio Files that this trigger a download instead of the viewer?

Great additions!  Is there a roadmap for including AutoCad DWG and SketchUp SKP File support?

HI,

Could it be possible to add the support of multpiple Artboards in Ai files?

As now it is possble to create multiple Artboards in a single Ai File, it could be valuable to browse through all those Artboard without opening the file.

As it is possble for a PDF file.

You may notice that now an Ai File is a by default coded as a PDF file (no more an EPS), so to generate the previews of an Ai it should be possible to use the PDF engine...

Many Thanks

Great new feature!

Will there be any way for administrators to opt-out of this new feature for a particular extension? If I work with a lot of AI files I may be more interested in simply allowing a download rather than a preview.

PowerShell perhaps?

Does it mean that all these files will be supported by next version of Office Online Server?

Hello,

Is it possible to have some more details about the support of FBX files?

I have some which works fine and others which not.

the concern is about the support of textures. Is it mandatory to embed Texture files in the FBX ? or is it possible to use separate files if they lay just beside the 3D file? as it is possible for OBJ/Mtl ?

Embedding texture files in FBX is not so a standard feature in all the packages which support FBX for exporting 3D files.

Many Thanks.