D365 SCM/Finance - multiple companies in one tenant

Brass Contributor

Dear community

We are facing a situation where different separate legal entities operate in one D365 Finance instance. All companies are in control of the same owner - so I believe technically this is possible to consolidate the installations.

Question: how is the licensing (CSP/NCE) being done properly? I assume, it is done in main-company (Company A) tenant where the LCS project belongs to) and the subscriptions are being assigned to guest users (Users of Company B/C as external guests of Company A). 

Is this correct? I did not find any information about this in the Licensing Guide unfortunately.

Thanks for your help

Daniel

8 Replies

Hi @axperience_gra

You can review Microsoft's definition of external users on pg.41of the current D365 LG to ensure compliance:

LicensingConcierge1_0-1705688400010.png

If the users do not meet this definition and they're accessing D365 Finance, then that would require that you purchase an applicable D365 Finance, Team Members, etc. license for them to avoid multiplexing, which is also defined in the D365 LG on pg. 42. 

Hope this helps:smile:

If this reply answers your question, please Accept as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.  Otherwise, please let me know if you need further assistance on this topic.

Regards,

Microsoft CSP Licensing Concierge

Dear Licensing Concierge
I know we will have to buy licenses - the only question is, how this is being done properly (from which customer‘s tenant?)

@axperience_gra 

Answer: On the same tenant that the users are accessing D365.

Guidance:  Per pg.46 of the D365 LG that I referenced in my reply above. Here is a snapshot of pg.46 for your convenience:

LicensingConcierge1_0-1705738775137.png

License options: choose between the D365 FinanceOperations – Activity or Team Members user license based on your needs.

Hope this helps! :smile:

If this reply answers your question, please Accept as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. Otherwise, please let me know if you need further assistance on this topic.

Regards,

thanks for your input! I guess so too, but unfortunately didn't find any clear statement in the Licensing Guide :(

@axperience_gra 

pg.46 of the D365 LG seems to answer your question directly since it says that a D365 user has access on the same tenant. There's even an example of a multi-tenant scenario as stated in your scenario.

LicensingConcierge1_0-1705998763653.png

Would you mind letting me know how this does not answer your question so that I can further clarify? I'm happy to assist :smile:

If this reply answers your question, please Accept as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. Otherwise, please let me know if you need further assistance on this topic.

Regards,

Your are referring to Multi-Tenant installations. I am talking about users from multiple tenants in one environment. It has also nothing to do with tenant license (since I am interested in user licenses/subscriptions).
So my question is still the same: would the users from other tenants have to be licensed in main tenant and being added as guest users there? This is not described in the License Guide (or we both didn‘t find it so far)

@axperience_gra 

There is no license for a "guest" user and the D365 LG does not license "guest" users.

As previously mentioned, users from a different tenant need a license (unless they qualify as external users).

Regards,

@LicensingConcierge1 which brings us back to square one. Can you please tell me, who the license/subscription has to be bought?

Again:

Company A: holding the main subscription with the D365 SCM production environment. In this environment, there are multiple companies (legal entities). How is the correct licensing for the users of the other companies?

You say, there is no guest user - of course not from D365 point of view, but from Azure AD (Entra). Users from outside your tenant are your guest-users and you can assign subscriptions to them. My understanding: Company A is buying all subscriptions and assigning to (guest) users from other tenants.

Let us have a phone call if there is still a problem in my description-skills ;)

Thanks again

Daniel