Windows 10 and 11 package icons resources

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I have a problem with my Packaged Win32 application icons resources on Windows 10 and 11.

The icons look great in the Start menu and Taskbar but when I add a desktop short to my app, the icon is displayed with a blue background color.

Here is my scenario :

1. I generate the resources.pri file using native Visual Studio tool (see attached capture)

2. Then I build an APPX package to publish it on the Store using the command line :

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\bin\10.0.18362.0\x86\makeappx.exe" pack /d "E:[compiled app folder]" /p e:\package.appx

3. I can sideload my app using the PS1 command

Add-AppxPackage -Register [package app folder]\AppxManifest.xml

When deployed (sideload or by Store) the icons look nice in the Start menu and taskbar (see captures).

When I drag the Icon from the Start menu to the desktop to create a shortcut, then the icon is not correct.

Note : I generated all the visual assets using VS for all sizes/scales, and light/dark variants, and unplated.

The appmanifest looks like that :

<uap:VisualElements
DisplayName="PageFabric"
Description="PageFabric"
BackgroundColor="transparent"
Square150x150Logo="Assets\Square150x150Logo.png"
Square44x44Logo="Assets\Square44x44Logo.png">
<uap:DefaultTile Wide310x150Logo="Assets\Wide310x150Logo.png"
Square310x310Logo="Assets\LargeTile.png"
Square71x71Logo="Assets\SmallTile.png">
<uap:ShowNameOnTiles>
<uap:ShowOn Tile="square150x150Logo" />
<uap:ShowOn Tile="wide310x150Logo" />
<uap:ShowOn Tile="square310x310Logo" />
</uap:ShowNameOnTiles>
</uap:DefaultTile>

Anybody has an idea of what I miss for the desktop shortcuts?

Thank you!

3 Replies
Hi,

Thank you for reporting this issue, we are investigating this and will report back when we have more information to share.

Best,
Sharla
Hi,

Following up here, it seems like this is a known issue but unfortunately does not have an estimated timeline for a fix right now. Our team does not own this area, but I passed along your feedback to the team that does own it.

Best,
Sharla
Had a similar problem with a WinUI3 application.
Fix was I had a Square44x44Logo.scale-200.png 88x88px
And the background was blue.
I added
Square44x44Logo.targetsize-24_altform-unplated.png 24x24px
And the blue went away.