Virtual Registry support for Anaconda (possibly [{AppVCurrentUserSid}]

MVP

If you package up the application Anaconda, the installer creates an entry under the registry key HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\bam\State\UserSettings\{replace with user sid here}

NOTE: The application is NOT installing a service, but is adding configuration that appears to be associated with BizTalk (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/biztalk/core/what-is-a-bam-definition ). So while it may be bad form to write user data under HKLM\System, it appears that this is what a Microsoft product documents to do!

The Packaging tool list of registry exclusions does not have an entry for this area and if I open the package in the editor part of the tool I can see that the capture did occur, and is stored using the old AppV syntax:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\bam\State\UserSettings\[{AppVCurrentUserSid}]

I'm not sure if the issue is the capture and it should have been variablized differently, or if the problem is in the MSIX runtime not handling the registry request to query values under

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\bam\State\UserSettings\{replace with user sid here}

but a procmon trace shows the query returned "Name Not Found".  At which point the app shuts down.

Interestingly, the trace shows a regopenkey on that key succeeding, just not the query.

The package (1.9GB) is available upon request.

1 Reply

This sounds like a good candidate for a fixup. :)