SOLVED

Manually creating MSIX packages using Packaging Layout

Copper Contributor

I am trying to manually create MSIX packages using the packaging layout as described here.

I am able to create APPX packages using the "MakeAppx.exe build" command, but am unable to find any option which can help me create MSIX packages instead. 

Please guide how MSIX packages can be created.

Version of MakeAppx used: 10.0.17763.132

OS Version: Windows 10 version 1809 (OS Build 17763.316)

4 Replies
best response confirmed by John Vintzel (Microsoft)
Solution
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We will add this functionality to the next release.

This is confusing. In another thread it was specified that there is no need to differentiate between APPX and MSIX. APPX is a subset of MSIX.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/MSIX-Packaging-and-Tools/Differentiating-between-appx-and-msi...

Also in another thread it was mentioned that MakeAppx.exe will automatically generate MSIX or APPX based on the package content.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/MSIX-Packaging-and-Tools/How-to-specify-package-type-msix-or-...

What new feature is being talked about here?

We have a bug with using the packaging layout (with MakeAppx.exe "build" command) where it won't create MSIX packages automatically, we will fix this for the next release. If you are using the MakeAppx.exe "pack" command to create packages then that should work fine for creating MSIX packages.

Hello @Andy Liu 

Is it fixed now ? I keep encounter a perplexing error message such : 

MakeAppx : error: Error info: error 80080204: App manifest validation error: Line 2, Column 2, Reason: A <Resource> element is required for packages targeting OS version 10.0.16299.0 or earlier.

What is your take on of this ?

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by John Vintzel (Microsoft)
Solution
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We will add this functionality to the next release.

View solution in original post