SOLVED

Context Menu in MSIX packaged application.

Copper Contributor

Hi Team,

I have packaged an application using the MSIX packaging tool and after installing/publishing the application i found out that the application lacks context menu. Is this feature still not available in MSIX packaged applications? 

6 Replies
Context Menu is a subset of the Shell Extensions. Microsoft has previously indicated this is being looked at for the future.

Some more details on MSIX shell support, from our experiments.

@Bogdan Mitrache  I can see the context menu when i re-packaged VLC media player and

@Bogdan Mitrache wrote:

@Bogdan Mitrache wrote:

it captured all the file associations, same thing was not achieved with 7Zip, Notepad++,WinZip.

best response confirmed by GauravTamkoria (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Yes, in VLC it works because you have for each file association a registered .exe that it points to. For example you point .mp3s to open up with vlc.exe.
But in cases like notepad++, winzip,etc, you have a shell extension which is not placed on a specific file association and it points to a .dll file.
Also, in MSIX, the context menu is not placed with the captured registry. Context menu is added inside the AppManifest.xml file.

@GauravTamkoria  What tool have you used for the VLC package? I've tried simple capture via Microsoft MSIX package tool and I get no context menu for VLC (like right click on folder "Add to VLC media player's Playlist") Thanks

@GauravTamkoria legacy IContextMenu context menu support is now available in insider builds (Support legacy context menus - MSIX | Microsoft Docs) This feature is not in retail builds yet.

Please let us know if you have follow up questions.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by GauravTamkoria (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Yes, in VLC it works because you have for each file association a registered .exe that it points to. For example you point .mp3s to open up with vlc.exe.
But in cases like notepad++, winzip,etc, you have a shell extension which is not placed on a specific file association and it points to a .dll file.
Also, in MSIX, the context menu is not placed with the captured registry. Context menu is added inside the AppManifest.xml file.

View solution in original post