Whiteboard Web. For when the GA?

Iron Contributor

Hi,

We've been waiting for Whiteboard to go to GA before we enable it to all users, but the noise across the business is getting louder, especially now that we moved from Bluejeans (Who had a whiteboard feature) Into MS Teams, which still doesn't.

Would anyone be able to share an indicative time of when it might become GA?

One other way of looking at this is, from a security perspective, I understand that Whiteboard web hasn't yet been through Soc1, Soc2, and all other security certifications yet. But it being part of the O365 platform, what are the security risk we should be aware of, when using a preview product?

Is it just a matter of product stability and support level, or does Microsoft have a security recommendation in regards to how organisations should deal with features in preview?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,

JC

2 Replies
The risk of using a feature in preview is that the functionalities can change over the time and it might happen that some functionalities you find useful could be retired by Microsoft...I don't think this is going to be the case with whiteboard though. In regards of your question I'm sorry I cannot give you any news about when Whiteboard will leave the preview status...but Ignite is coming, so it might be when this happens

Thank you for your reply @Juan Carlos González Martín 

From a functionality point of view, we're ready to accept that features might change, or even drop.

The document that is causing some questions at our end is 

"The Whiteboard apps for Windows 10 and iOS meet Tier C, which means that they conform to global standards including SOC 1, SOC 2, ISO 27001, HIPAA, and EU Model Clauses. When the Whiteboard Web App (currently in Preview) is made generally available, it will meet the same level of compliance standards"

from https://support.office.com/en-us/article/enable-microsoft-whiteboard-for-your-organization-1caaa2e2-...

Can we trust preview apps to comply with the basic security assurances that we get from other parts of M365? If we save a whiteboard with commercially sensitive IP, is it secured with the same level of assurance that we get from other O365 services?

Anything I can share with our security team to help alleviate concerns about preview features in general, or with the whiteboard preview in particular would be greatly appreciated

Cheers,

JC