SOLVED

Quote chat message in reply on desktop

This thread has been locked for new comments by a moderator, if you have a new similar issue then please start a new thread.
Brass Contributor

When chatting on the mobile version, I can tap-hold a chat message and get a "reply" option that quotes the original message in the reply.  How can I do this with the desktop app?

73 Replies
It's August the 3rd, 2021 and "reply to a specific message" on desktop is not a feature on Teams. The single most important feature on any chat app is not a feature on Teams.
Can any product owner at Microsoft tells me why? Have you ever need to reply to to specific message in your whole project management life?

List of chat apps that can (many years ago): Skype, LINE, Whataspp, WeChat, Telegram, Snapchat, KakaoTalk, Slack, Discord, QQ, Viber and literally every other chat app.
Not Teams.

@depwnz 

So a consultant from O365 explained me that due to a too much CPU resources consumption  for this feature its not implemented. i know it sounds like a lame excuse but its what he told me...

@BenjaminLAURENT 

That can't be correct (them not you). My phone has the CPU power but my desktop doesn't. There has to be something more to this behind the scenes.

I really hope Microsoft can implement this feature in my lifetime...

"The mobile Android app version is so convenient when comes to reply on specific message quote :)"

Not when replying to messages in channels though, no reply option there either.

@Gilles Pion Hello, UV is still here for Teams. There will be a transition from UV to another feedback platform going forward though Reply to specific message in chat on desktop app – Welcome to UserVoice!

Microsoft Teams: Reply to a specific message

Microsoft 365 Roadmap | Microsoft 365

@ChristianJBergstrom wrote:

There will be a transition from UV to another feedback platform going forward though 

Yes, I'm aware of this, but I dont have much hope that votes and message history won't be lost during the migration process.

They (Microsoft) have told me that will not happen for the most requested features. But might happen for those with two-three votes if you ask me.

@SLiddicoat 

On Desktop, you can copy the text you want to quote, then when composing a message you can press Shift + > and paste in the quoted text. Not a straight forward solution, but a workaround until the feature comes to desktop

Kamal_380_0-1629682942088.png

This feature seems to be available in Teams for Home (using a personal Microsoft Account) already but I can't see it in our Business tenant yet. Hoping it will be available for business and enterprises soon also...any ideas when we can expect it there?

MattiasSkog_0-1629693511383.png

@mrs99mrs99 
As of today 2021-Sep, this feature with ">" works only in the main Teams window, but doesn't in the individual chat windows. At least with the Teams version that my company uses right now. So I would say this workaround has a small impact.

reply.JPG

 Now the reply quote msg function have in under business tenant MS Teams 
no need copy paste and manual reply quote now :) 

@Daniel7777