Preview exited, now GA: Expanded Emoji Picker

Microsoft

Description

The expanded emoji update brings users the fun and expressiveness they love from other platforms into Teams. It also introduces a far wider range of diversity and representation in our fun content - a necessity for our diverse and widespread user base. These features are just the tip of the iceberg in empowering user expression and we're excited to get this out to users!

These are the specific changes:

• 85 emojis expanded to over 800!
  • Category selector
  • Skin tone selector
  • Shortcode picker

Category Examples

Picture6.pngPicture7.png

Skin Tone Selector

Picture8.pngPicture9.png

To select a skin tone please right click on emojis with the dot in the top right corner. Your choice will be saved for that login session.

Category Selector

Picture10.png

Smilies

Hand Gestures

People

Animals

Food

Travel and places

Activities

Objects

Symbols

Shortcode Picker

Picture11.pngPicture12.png

• Available today only in desktop pop out chat and meetings.
  • Type parentheses then characters to auto complete available emojis.

Flighting status

Available today on Desktop and Web. Additional emojis and mobile support coming soon.

How to enable

Enabled by default for tenants configured with emojis on.

Note: If you need information about enabling the public preview itself, see “Enable the public preview for Teams” below.

Microsoft 365 workloads and dependencies

Product, workload, or area

Dependency (Yes/No)

If yes, version requirements and other dependencies

Exchange

No

Sharepoint, files

No

Skype for Business

No

Outlook add-in

No

Azure AD

No

OneDrive

No

Office

No

Supported clients and platforms

Windows 10

macOS

iOS

Android

Linux

Chrome

Firefox

Safari

Edge

IE

Yes

Yes

-

-

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

-

Known issues

• Dark emojis are less visible in Teams dark theme
  • Some copy/paste scenarios are not fully supported yet

Known limitations

• Skin tone selection is reset between logins
  • Skin tone selection is distinct between platforms
  • Shortcode picker is only available in pop out chats and meetings on desktop
    • Coming to other areas in future updates

Enable your Teams client for the public preview 

1. First, IT admins need to set an update policy that turns on Show preview features. Learn how at Public preview in Microsoft Teams - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Docs.  
  2. Users then choose to join the public preview individually. See Get early access to new Teams features - Office Support (microsoft.com) for instructions. 

Summary of public preview features

For a history of features in the Office and Teams public previews, see Release Notes Current Channel (Preview) - Office release notes | Microsoft Docs.

Send us your feedback 

Got feedback on features in the public preview or other areas of Teams? Let us know straight from Teams via Help Give feedback 

Thank you,

Preview Team @ Jason Schumacher

Quality & Customer Obsession, Microsoft Teams

34 Replies
That's what I was talking about!
Microsoft's "Thinking" emojie is missing the hand on the chin. All other vendors do have a his. see https://emojipedia.org/thinking-face/
Microsoft's thinking emojie looks more like "i am pretty insecure" than "hmmm".

Why is the emoji with the shortcut name (womansuperhero) given the name Super Mum, and not Woman superhero?  Are only Mums super?  Not all women are mothers, and women who don't have, or are unable to have, children are often made to feel 'less than' because they are not mothers. I know diversity and inclusivity is important to you - please can you represent and include all women in your emoji set, not just mums.  Thank you.

Don't suggest emojis after the ":" until you've gotten to 2 characters, like discord does. That covers both common use cases.
Changing the picker from : to ( messes with all users used to the former method and with no good communication when the change happened. I got really confused and irritated when :thinking: did no longer work. I just now discovered that (think) is the new way (which does not look the same btw.). What was wrong with using colon?
Just what cschulze was saying - it's not the same emoji. Definitely affecting productivity! :thinking:
finally no more ugly bolky emojis

@Jason_Schumacher I'd like to suggest the pattern of a double parentheses "((" as the trigger.  Outside of typing in code, I generally don't see them doubled up, however it still easy to type.

Thanks for the feedback. I've shared it with the team.
If you use the emoji search box you can type think and it will find it. The graphic itself looks a little different than the one you shared in this post.
You can also type (think) and it will be a shortcode for it as well.
Thanks for the feedback. I've shared this with the team.
Thank you for the feedback. We are doing an update to make the shortcode and the tooltip text match woman super hero.
The team is considering options regarding shortcode functionality for the future. Thank you for this suggestion.
The team is considering options regarding shortcode functionality for the future.
The team is considering options regarding shortcode functionality for the future. Thank you for this suggestion.