Camera not working in New Teams Public Preview

Brass Contributor

Anyone else having camera issues today?  My camera worked yesterday and with the update this morning it doesn't work anymore.  My camera works in the old versions of Teams, in the web version of Teams, and in all other applications but when I join a meeting in New Teams Public Preview the camera is blank and does not turn on.

Version

You have Microsoft Teams version 23104.900.2020.2949.
You've got the latest version. It was last updated on 4/24/2023.
The client version is 49/23040901300.
34 Replies
Teams updated this morning and still no camera. I have to switch back to old Teams for video calls. I did test this on another computer and New Teams worked fine with the camera on that computer. I tried removing and reinstalling but still no camera. When I turn the camera on the window blinks but my camera is not activated and the preview window stays black.
I have the same issue. It works on my work laptop with an integrated camera. When I used my own desktop, video doesn't work - for me nor any other attendee. When I minimise the main meeting window, the mini window that shows one person at a time (depending on who is speaking) does work. My own PC has a plug in webcam and also a dedicated GPU, I'm wondering if it's some kind of driver issue?
I agree, seems to be driver issue and related to multiple cameras. Works fine when I toggle off using New Teams. Hopefully this is just part of the new Teams preview development.
As of the update today this is working again. I'm on a laptop with an integrated webcam and an external USB webcam and the app sees both and they both work again. Hope that's true for everyone.

Version
You have Microsoft Teams version 23119.300.2055.8616.
You've got the latest version. It was last updated on 5/13/2023.
The client version is 49/23050100404.
Spoke too soon. Same version running today but I'm back to the black screen like it can't enable the camera. The joys of public preview.
We have the same problem, hopefully there will be a solution soon

@smithje3 Same here, anyone running external mic issues as well?

I have a Surface with just the integrated camera and New Teams is running on that and the camera works great all the time. I have a laptop with an integrated webcam and an external Logitech Bio webcam but on that device New Teams doesn't see either camera and even when I remove the Brio it still doesn't see the integrated webcam. Some days it will work, and other days it won't so I have to keep going back to old Teams.
Same exact issue, multiple cameras. Shows fine in the preview and when I join the meeting it does not show any cameras or content, just black screens. Works fine when I switch back to old teams.
Similar issue overhere:

When joining a meeting, the camera preview works fine, but as soon as I join the meeting my picture freezes and instead of the other videos I only see the frozen image of my video stream centered in the meeting. However, personal calls work fine for me. This behavior doesn't occur in the GA version.

Device (in case it helps): Win 11, Desktop with external cam.

Teams version: 23159.1802.2163.9887
Client version: 49/23060905006
Same behavior, frozen picture of me in the middle of the meeting.
Same here. Since We have 300 Laptops from HP. And since early May 2023 every week we get 2 or 3 users whit camera problems in Teams. We now have about 20 users with these problems.
All have different types op laptops, drivers, teams versions, windows 10 versions.
We now test on Windows 11 and it seems that this is reducing the problems. We still really havent found the cause.
What we have found is that on windows 11 new teams there is a distinct process for the chat function in the system tray. We have killed that and the camera worked.
I have this version and no problems
You have Microsoft Teams version 23159.1802.2163.9887.
You have the latest version. This was last updated on 6/22/2023.
The client version is 49/23060905006

@JeroenGronsveld Thanks for info.  Can you provide details on the process you are killing? 

I found a workaround for my issue: camera needs to be disabled in the lobby and can be activated in the meeting. If your camera was activated in the lobby, you need to deactivate it, join the meeting, close the window and re-join again with deactivated camera. Seems to me that the bug is related to the video preview before joining the meeting.

Hope it helps!

EDIT: if someone starts presenting while in the meeting, videos and share freeze again

Funny was going to post this same work around.

Others sharing doesn't seem to impact me at this point. Starting the camera after joining the meeting has worked every time.
You will always see it. The person who did this just went on vacation and I wasn't exactly sure what process she was talking about (working from home has its drawbacks)
Our status is now as follows:
For the employees with windows 10 who know these problems, we have upgraded and downgraded everything, right down to the BIOS. Nothing helped.
The only thing we keep seeing is that when you hover over the camera icon "The camera has been disabled by the administrator".
I looked in the Teams admin environment, but I didn't see any strange settings (so far).

We also have some problems on laptops with Windows 11, because when the laptop is started the camera sometimes works and sometimes it doesn't, but when the camera doesn't work and we close Teams completely (also in the system tray) and start it again then the cameras at the employees with this configuration will always work.

Finally.... With these employees the icon is gray at first and suddenly after 2 seconds it is functional again.
I get the suspicion that a global Polcy has been or is being overwritten somewhere
Well, some further investigation now. In all the cases we have seen it look like the is some persistent setting.
So the case is, restarting te laptop sometmes helps, crashing the teams process doesn't help. Bios update, Windows 10 or 11, driver update, driver downgrade, multple registry settings etc..
All , no suc6.
The only thing now that, for us, really works is stopping teams via the systemtray, startting up teams, wait for 10 to 20 seconds (in this time the camera icon in teams is still grayed out and when you hoover over the icon it says "Video not supported in you browser". And then....it suddenly is working :)
This issue is now solved for me with below versions:

Teams-Version: 23173.802.2217.4774
Client-Version: 49/23062219209
Wow, I haven't had any luck resolving this issue.

Microsoft Teams version is 23190.500.2225.2952.
The client version is 49/23061801505. (Looks like mawag has a newer client version than I have)
You've got the latest version. It was last updated on 7/20/2023.