Disconnect Microsoft Teams calendar from Outlook calendar

Copper Contributor

I work with a  group of 170 students and recently began using the calendar feature as a way to publish events for the group. Some of these events are applicable to all members. Some events are applicable to some members. I am now seeing all of these events on my outlook calendar, and I am sure our group is too. Is there a way to disconnect this Teams calendar from Outlook calendars?

4 Replies

Hello @sew110   According to this post on our answers.microsoft.com tech support site, it's not possible to unsync the two calendars: Unsync Teams and Outlook Calendars - Microsoft Community

What you might consider is creating two (or how ever many) separate private channels for each group and creating channel meetings specifically for that group.  The other group of students won't see or have access to the channel meetings. Tip: Meet in a channel - Office Support (microsoft.com)

@ThereseSolimeno Our group is having major issues with new Channel and new Channel calendar syncing everyone's calendar items (no direct invites) directly to everyone's personal calendar.  This is causing excessive items on personal Outlook desktop calendar and when "declined" fortunately still stay on the channel calendar.  We have another Team that has the same set up, but the items do not sync to everyone's personal Outlook desktop calendar unless they are individually invited.  Why are these operating differently?  Thanks.

Is there already an update on this? We face the exact same problem.
For one team, the calendar does not sync automatically to all personal calendars and for the other Team it does.

For some it created a dedicated "Group Calendar", which I can toggle on and off in Outlook. THIS is exactly what we need, but I couldn't pinpoint the exact configuration to make this work for all teams.

@Mike_Joke
Each Team created is its own Microsoft 365 Group and has a group calendar. All members/owners of this Team will see all events from the Group Calendar on their Teams Calendar. All channel meetings in the Team, any other meeting where the Team has been invited by name/group email address as an attendee, and assignments (if the option is selected) will show up in the Group Calendar. There is no way to toggle the display of the group calendar events in the Teams Calendar. In the Outlook Calendar, all groups that you are a member of should show up under the 'Group Calendars' section in the bottom left panel of Outlook Calendar. The only limit I am aware of here that would prevent a group from showing up is that Outlook can only display a maximum of 30 calendars in Schedule View. By default, group calendars should be toggled off in Outlook Calendar. However, this is the location where you would turn the display of those calendar events off in Outlook. This will not affect the display of these events in the Teams Calendar however.