Editing a video saved to OneDrive/SharePoint

Brass Contributor

Once we begin saving all TMRs to OneDrive - how will we edit those videos to trim, set a title, description or new thumbnail?  Will we have to upload the video to Stream?  If we do that, once the changes are made, do we then have to save back to OneDrive in order to be able to share?

How do we make someone else an owner of a video besides the recorder or organizer of the Teams Meeting?

Seems like the change to OneDrive is going to make working with videos way more complicated.

Is there any how-to guidance/training from Microsoft for end-users on how to work with videos now that they will be saved to OneDrive/SharePoint first?

Thank you,

36 Replies

@kpoquette 

Once we begin saving all TMRs to OneDrive - how will we edit those videos to trim, set a title, description or new thumbnail?  Will we have to upload the video to Stream?  If we do that, once the changes are made, do we then have to save back to OneDrive in order to be able to share?

Trimming a video, setting title/description, and custom thumbnails are all things we are working on building into ODB / SPO. When we do ANY video in ODB or SharePoint will get those features. You don't have to "come to Stream" or "put them in Stream". Our new vision is that Stream enhances all videos in ODB/SPO and by doing that any videos you upload to Teams/Yammer/Planner, etc because those just use ODB/SPO as well to store files. 

So in the new world you just put your videos in ODB or SPO (or Teams Files tab or upload to Yammer) and you'll be able to do "Streamy" things with them. The Stream web app (when you click on the Stream title from the M365 app launcher) will look more like PowerPoint or Word in Office.com where it helps you find PPTX or DOCX files or make new ones. In the same way Stream will be on office.com to help you find and make new videos across all of M365.

We won't have all those Stream features (trim, title, description, custom thumbs, custom thumbs) by the time all meeting recordings are saved to ODB/SPO. But we will have it shortly after around middle of next calendar year or so. We think that team meeting recordings could move over before we rebuild all those things into ODB/SPO. 

How do we make someone else an owner of a video besides the recorder or organizer of the Teams Meeting?

Seems like the change to OneDrive is going to make working with videos way more complicated.

When Teams Meeting Recordings or any video is saved into ODB/SPO it's just a file like any other file. If you want to share or change permissions you just click the "Share" button and create a company shareable link to send on, make a link that grants just that person view or edit, etc. With this change there isn't anything special or different in terms of sharing/permissons on video files over any other file you store in ODB or SharePoint. We think this is going to make things way simpler and easier to understand because now permissions for videos match the same as permissions for other files. 

Is there any how-to guidance/training from Microsoft for end-users on how to work with videos now that they will be saved to OneDrive/SharePoint first?

Not yet, this is on our list of things to do. If you have specific articles or areas you'd like us to focus on let us know!

@Marc Mroz So this means that videos saved to SharePoint will not be editable/trimmable until at least the middle of the year? I'm a CEO using Teams/Stream to create, title, trim, set permissions for, and share a short weekly video for hundreds of staff.  I can't see any information on how to replace this workflow, even in a workaround way.  Once the video is in Sharepoint, I can't see any way of trimming it.  Is this the case - that functionality has been taken away? Will have to rethink my entire internal comms strategy if so!

@Marie-Louise_Ayres Hiya, this might help, we were faced with the same issues, we now use Microsoft Photo, really easy editing tool, it's free here's a link that explains it all :

https://samuelmcneill.com/2018/07/30/how-to-quickly-edit-videos-on-windows-10/

Moving Teams recordings to SharePoint/OneDrive without continuing to provide an editing capability was a bad idea. I tried the suggested method of downloading and trimming with MS Photos. This both removed the meeting header page and resulted in a file twice the size of the original. Trimming with Stream was a great feature. It was quick, as all the workflow remained online and integrated with Teams. This new process is inferior, elongated, and adds needless large-file data transmission stress to the local network and WAN.
Totally agree that this forced move with less functionality was a bad move. Right after I tell my staff how to use Streams this functionality is just taken away. It's very frustrating.
Thank you

@Marc Mroz 

When creating the editing capabilities for a video, please allow for the audio of the video to be able to be edited also. So sound effects, and music can be edited in, or the audio can be extracted to put

into an audio software such as "audacity". That way Teams can be used for Virtual recordings of musicals.

Our district only allows music educators to use Teams, but we have no way to edit the music, voices,

sound effects when recording a Virtual musical. 

Thanks,

Mary Ann 

Are there any updates around the editing capabilities in OneDrive for meetings that were recorded in Microsoft Teams? What are our options for editing the Teams recordings if we can no longer edit them in Stream?

Would be great to get an update on editing / trimming capability in SP / OD4B.

We've just been "forced" over and trimming is a major feature loss for us.

@Marc Mroz 

@mattolver I think this article (and those related) is the best way to stay updated of what's going on, such as feature availability and associated roadmap ids.

Features in Microsoft Stream (on SharePoint) - Microsoft Stream | Microsoft Docs

Thanks @ChristianJBergstrom 

I did find that link and the associated excel document after some more digging.

Disappointing that customers have lost the ability to opt-out of the move to Stream (on SP) given that the target platform still lacks a lot of features that the old stream offered.

Some of the new features are great, however the changes to workflow and loss of other features has definitely been a blow to my end-users in the education space.

What massive step backwards moving recordings out of Stream to one drive is.

I can't edit meetings anymore, their is no reason to use teams for recordings any more its just going to add more steps to download the file and reupload it after editing it in another product.

Will have to move to use something like snag it to do recordings and edits then upload.

Absolutely disappointed by this removal of functionality at a time where we are relying on recordings more than ever.

We use the Photos app that comes with Windows 10 and then simply upload the file to stream for dissemination to people.  The Photos app has a very simply video editing tool - much better then what Stream had.

@kpoquette the photo app works but it takes a lot of time. I had to download; edit; upload the file. For a 2.5h meeting the file is quite large. Strangest thing, the edited file from which I trimmed 1h was larger than the original one. 

@Benoit Fournier , after you uploaded the edited version, did it "break" the link to the video that was in the meeting chat?

@kpoquette It has been well over a year now and we still don't have the basic editing features available on OD/SPO.  When is this coming?  This was a huge step backwards for MS.

@Marc

Any idea on the delivery timeframe of the trim video feature? I see in the Excel that's in the future but there is no roadmap id. Are you working on it?

Thanks
Initial thinking and design has started on adding trim to videos in SharePoint, but engineering hasn't gotten far enough for us to know when it'll be able to be added to the roadmap. We are also working on integrating clipchamp into M365 as well.