Can I specify a stop time in the playback options?

Brass Contributor

I know I can specify a start time in seconds with the playback options e.g.

...&nav={"playbackOptions":{"startTimeInSeconds":60}}

But can I specify a stop time or play duration? I believe I could do this with Stream Classic.

I tried "stopTimeInSeconds" and "endTimeInSeconds" but it didn't work.

We have some use cases where we need to show a section of a video and also, ideally, combine multiple sections together. Editing is slow/painful and it would great to do this without editing. Some video stream technologies provide the ability to combine sections of multiple videos.

https://www.brightcove.com/en/resources/blog/concatenation-hls-rescue/

Stuart

3 Replies

@Stuart McGarrity we do not have a stop time as a url query string option. I don’t think this was possible in Stream (Classic) either that I can remember. 

Our upcoming “soft trim” feature that we are trying to finalize, might be what you want. It’ll allow you to “trim” the video by hiding the beginning, parts of the middle, and end of the video directly in Stream. Viewers won’t see the hidden parts and there is no need to render a new video it just hides the sections instantly for viewers. 

The roadmap says we will start rollout in March but we are fixing the last bugs and usability issues now and hope to start rolling it out to Targeted Release late March or early April. 

Thanks Marc for replying.

Here is an example of how you did is in Stream classic:
https://webapps.stackexchange.com/questions/153894/how-to-get-a-link-to-an-exact-time-in-a-microsoft...
e.g. , ?st=150&et=18

The "soft trim" feature you describe will be very helpful (sounds like what existed in Stream classic) , just not for this use case, as we can sometimes need multiple sections in one video. The videos are customer usability test Teams recordings of up to an hour, with lots of interesting things happening through out.

@Stuart McGarrity - Whoa I didn't even know we supported the et parameter for end time on Stream (Classic). I'm double checking with our player team to see if there is another undocumented hidden parameter for end time pausing on the new player as well. I tried the obvious name matching the start one and it didn't work so I'm doubtful we support this today. 

Can you tell me more about how you'd ideally like to work with videos to make these short clips for your needs? We've had the idea of "clips" for a while where you specify which parts of the video to play as a "clip" that just references the original without making a new video. So I'd love to learn more about how you'd ideally like this to work if we ever built a full feature around it.