Stream and Teams - new users and streaming

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I'm in the process of testing out the usability of MS Stream for my organisation.

Basically I want new staff members to be added to a Teams group that contains a simple Stream channel with some training videos in it for them to view.

Creating the Teams group has been easy enough, but I've had some issues with Stream and have a couple of questions.

Is it possible to do this without end users needing to visit the stream website and sign up directly?

During testing, my test user had error message "forbidden" when trying to view the video channel through Teams. My main user login, as well as that of another colleague, both had no issues.

To clarify, we both have full office 365 licences, but the test user had a minimal free licence with the Teams trial.

Is this caused by having not signed up directly, or by the current issue with inviting users that is posted in the tech forum?

Any advice or information would be really appreciated.

If I've posted this in the wrong place or what I've said makes no sense, please let me know :)

Thanks,

Tobias

1 Reply
Hi Tobias,

Thanks for raising this. I have done this myself and can show you how to do it.

1.) Create the Team with the required users, this creates an Office 365 Group
2.) In Stream, create a Channel and link it to the Office 365 Group
3.) Select the Channel and go to Membership, add the members of the Team
4.) Upload the Videos you need to the Channel
5.) In the Teams Channel, create Stream Tab with Channel set as the Channel you created in the Stream Portal.

That should work, then all members of the Team should be able to see the videos. They do not have to go into the Stream Portal to view them. If you are adding the New Members to the Team you will also need to add them to Membership within the Stream Channel. It does not do this automatically at present.

This all works on a full Office 365 licence. I do not think it works on a free licence with the Teams Trial because this licence would not contain a Stream Plan which is needed to consume the video.

Hope that helps and that I have answered your question.

Best, Chris