'New Stream' Admin requirements

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I'm a little concerned about the move to Sharepoint storage in that the announcement suggests that the 'Stream Admin' role will be going and Admin will need to be done by Sharepoint admins, but these are very different job roles.

The 'Stream Admin' role was appropriate for Business Development power users to access, modify and download recordings of webinars and other meetings to generate marketing material, whereas it would be madness to assign these people as Sharepoint Admins as they are at opposite ends of the admin clearance spectrum. 

Not just that, I think, even for those of us trusted as Sharepoint Admins, taking ownership of a user's OneDrive just to access a webinar recording seems pretty inappropriate at best. Due to the nature of the move, I can't see a clear answer myself but just wanted to raise my concerns as I can see it causing operational problems for lots of organisations, not just my own. 

For clarity the announcement addresses this as follows: 

As a Stream admin can I still act on all Stream videos in the new Stream?

The Stream admin role only applies to Stream (Classic). However, SharePoint admins can already today take action on any file stored in the SharePoint files platform and this will remain true for any video files as well. After an admin finds a set of videos in question via links sent to them or via an audit or eDiscovery search, a SharePoint admin can then add themselves as a site admin for the user's OneDrive or add themselves as a site admin of a shared site, and then they can act on all files within it.

0 Replies