SOLVED

Microsoft Stream & xAPI Statements

Copper Contributor

I didn't see this in any of the other forum posts, so I wanted to bring this up a few questions... 

• Does Microsoft Teams generate xAPI statements?
  • Can xAPI statements be integrated in any way to support our desire to learn about how videos are experienced?
  • What analytics can I get today, and are they able to be exported as a CSV file or otherwise added to a report on user activity within Stream?

As we consider how large groups of people can/may share video in a secure, OCTA-ready way, Stream could be a great solution. That said, it's important to the organization to understand what data we can gather, and ideally, we'd like to get information that is linked to the user experience, through the integration of xAPI statements. 

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback on this topic. 

PC

8 Replies

I believe the answer to all your questions is No, but adding @Marc Mroz here so he can comment on all your questions

Thanks for getting back to me - and I look forward to exploring this some more. 

All the best, 

PC

best response confirmed by MrCavalier (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Stream doesn't have any APIs today at all. Our first step will be to add REST APIs to be able to do common actions/get common info out of Stream. I'm not sure if we'll get to SCORM or xAPIs in 2019 after the REST APIs or not.

We are going to be adding more analytics to Stream in 2019 to better help with the types of data you are looking to collect in a more straight forward manner.

However, the only way to get any sort of data on who watched a Stream video today is to use the O365 Audit logs events we send. Each action in Stream including watching a video is logged to the O365 Audit Log in the Search/compliance center. If you use the Management APIs to export out all the Stream view events into some other system, you could use that to build your own deeper reports on video watching.

Thank you for the detailed response, it is appreciated. 
I'd like to add that as the ongoing demand for "corporate YouTube" environments grow, the value of embedding content from said space will increase. This is directly linked to a growing desire to ensure learning and development functions are data driven, and video plays a large part in modern learning. 

There is a lot of power in the social elements that are already integrated into Stream, (comments, likes, etc.) and it will be interesting to see if these features can be optimized into a reporting structure that support decision making based on user activity, interest, and sentiment. 

I'll stay tuned to see what comes of this xAPI question, and report out on any automation we're able to engineer for our learners, if we are in fact able to use Stream for our corporate video assets. 

Regards, 

I’m also interested in ability to have xApi in Microsoft Teams not just Stream

Hi @Marc Mroz 

I wanted to nudge here and see if any updates have been made to the roadmap regarding #Teams supporting the #XAPI?

Thanks,

Bassel

@MrCavalier digging this one up from the grave :p

Keen to know how you went with implementing your own solution with regards to Stream and xAPIs (if you had the chance).

Were you able to extract the logs from O365 and build some solution to send those logs using xAPI to your LRS?

We did not use Stream at all - w/o any xAPI data native to the platform it would have been too much effort to make it something it's not - a VCMS. This means other solutions were selected from various vendors and some solutions were created in-house.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by MrCavalier (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Stream doesn't have any APIs today at all. Our first step will be to add REST APIs to be able to do common actions/get common info out of Stream. I'm not sure if we'll get to SCORM or xAPIs in 2019 after the REST APIs or not.

We are going to be adding more analytics to Stream in 2019 to better help with the types of data you are looking to collect in a more straight forward manner.

However, the only way to get any sort of data on who watched a Stream video today is to use the O365 Audit logs events we send. Each action in Stream including watching a video is logged to the O365 Audit Log in the Search/compliance center. If you use the Management APIs to export out all the Stream view events into some other system, you could use that to build your own deeper reports on video watching.

View solution in original post