Manually Sorting Videos in Channels

Iron Contributor

I find it hard to believe that we can't manually sort videos in channels (or playlists) in Stream -- it seems to me that it would be a top priority. I have a couple of questions with regard to that:

1. Does it stop you from using Stream?
  2. How are you sorting videos in channels if you want/need them to be in a specific order?

Cheers,

Graham

3 Replies
It's one of many reasons I don't invest any time or effort into Stream. The UX has not kept up with the times and it shows.

I haven't tested this, but in theory, you should be able to order them by adding a numerical prefix to each of your videos (i.e.: "1 - Video A", "2 - Video B", etc.) and then sorting the playlist by NAME.

@atrain204 

Yeah, numbering the videos is about the only workaround that I can see. The problem I have with that is if I have a long list of videos -- let's say 20 (internal software training, for e.g.) -- and realize I need to insert a video between videos "03 - Video Title" and "04 - Video Title", I'll now need to rename the videos from "04 - Video Title" up to "21 - Video Title", and that's just a deal breaker in my books.

I think it's a shame they're not keeping up with the times with Stream -- it has so much potential as your Internal YouTube.

Graham

Yeah, that would be a deal-breaker for me too. Another option is to manually embed the videos into a make-shift playlist in SharePoint. Again, that would be very time-consuming with a lot of videos.

The good news is that I believe the developers ARE working on updating Stream. The landing page will be moving to Office.com (like Forms) fairly soon, and I have heard rumblings about a updated video portal coming down the pipeline too.

There is hope for Stream. It hasn't been forgotten yet.