Download original video as an mp4

Copper Contributor

Hi! I created some videos in my stream and need to download them as either a .mp4, .mov, or .avi type of file. Right now it's only downloading as a .webm file. How do I fix this?

31 Replies

@kbaker765  You can not choose the format you want to download a video in Stream. It downloads the format you or the tool has uploaded. You have to do the conversion on your computer with a tool to mp4!

The valid Input formats you can find here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/stream/input-audio-video-formats-codecs

Matroska/WebM (.mkv) is listed!

Downloading from Stream in .webm format makes the file useless to add directly to a Sway. Sway will not accept a .webm file as a 'drag and drop' or as an embed. As an example, if I create a screen recording in Stream I cannot directly use it in Sway because it only downloads as a .webm. Surely the incompatibility is an oversight? @kbaker765

Howdy!! quick solution would be to trim a part of that video like 2 seconds within microsoft stream and then try to download it again. This time it downloads in mp4 format. 

It worked for me. Hope it works for you. Thanks

@Tomislav Karafilov That is a strange limitation. The entire world uses MP4 - why would our buddies at MS choose .WEBM? There has to be another way...

@kbaker765 Thank you for the tip! It worked! @microsoft, surely this is something that you should be able to fix. 

@Skyfalls65 

Yup. That worked for me! (Now who would have guessed ...?)

Great suggestion and easy fix!! How in the world did you stumble across that solution?

Yes - this worked for me too - great find. @TroyK26 

@Skyfalls65, that is a brilliant solution. Thanks for point it out. :)
It worked for me thanks. However, be cautious this solution has a flaw as well. I've had an original portrait aspect video and after trimming it expands to landscape with black bars and as a result, it experiences a severe drop of quality. Whew...

@Erwinas try Duo Video Converter, which is a free download from the MS store to convert the file to MP4.

@georearl @Erwinas Second the Duo Video Converter app. I use this all the time to trim and edit video recordings out of MS Teams that are auto created by Stream. And bonus - Duo gives some general easy video editing features as well. 

@kbaker76 this is going to sound stupid, but you can simply change the extention to mp4 without any magic up your sleeves ;)

A simple rename of the file extension works.
You first need to be able to see the file extension by doing this.

Click the Start menu. ...
Type "folder options" (without the quotes). ...
A dialog box with the title "Folder Options" will appear. ...
Click to uncheck the box for "Hide extensions for known file types".
Click the "OK" button at the bottom of the dialog box.
Now to just right click on the file and select rename.

Change the .webm to .wmv or .mp4, whatever.

Other than trimming the recording, have any better solutions been found the MP4 file conversion? My issue with trimming the video is I can't do that with recordings other people share with me. Or is there a way to trim videos in Stream that are shared after they've been published? @kbaker765 

You can upload your webm file -> publish (untill fully proccessed) -> trim -> download
Thanks for the note and I wanted to give some more details. The screen recorder on classic Stream and the new enhanced screen record on stream.office.com are using the browser to generate a video file. Currently the browser support creating .webm files so that is what is outputted when you all use the recorder.

There are currently no plans to change the file format as it plays back in classic Stream and on Stream on SharePoint.

I do wonder why folks are needing another file format. Hearing below about wanting to embed a video into Sway seemed like one use case, were there others?
Most of our intent with the screen recorder is record (do an explainer video for example), make some small edits, hit upload and then share to others. Others can watch the video right in Stream. All of this works just fine with webm so I was trying to see why people were asking about mp4. Thanks!!

Bonjour, @Wim_Groffils 

Ton astice fonctionne. on peu tlire le fichier sur le lecteur média ou VLC.

Mais pour le retravailler dans adobe prmiere ou avs editor le problème reste résiduel.

Meme renommé en mp4 on a une erreur qu ifait que cela est impossible de retravailler le fichier.

Cordialement

agilateur_0-1672957530834.png

just convert it with a webapp then :)