SOLVED

API

Silver Contributor

Hi,

Is there an API available for Stream yet? I have seen a few topics on here and stack overflow posted last year regarding an API but cannot find any documentation online.

I am interested in integrating with Microsoft Stream into our platform. Our platform is a web app for Education.

Cheers

Dan

10 Replies
best response confirmed by Amit Rajput (Microsoft)
Solution

Hi @danreil, thank you for reaching out. We don't have APIs available yet. They are on the roadmap but our focus for next few months is to get other higher priorities landed and then we will look at APIs.

Any updates on the Stream API roadmap. This is something we really need!

It is still on our list/roadmap. We don't yet have a solid timeline for when we'll get this done, but looking at starting on this project in the coming quarters of CY2018.

we would like to integrate video interactivity platform (hapyak -- who integrates via player API) with Stream...and so I understand that there is request for API to integrate with the backend (channels, videos, permissions, etc.) of Stream but was wondering is there a video player API available (or is the player based on opensource player)?  thanks!

@SUNISH ABRAHAM - We are planning on adding support for "player APIs" on top of the Stream player.  It's currently on our list but not actively being worked on right now. We hope that we'll have time to start working on this in Q2/Q3 timeframe. That's not a promise but just the general goal we are heading for (timelines could move up/back in time).

Since we haven't started the project yet it's hard to know exactly what shape the player APIs will take, but my guess is that we'll handle basic ability to control the player (play/pause, rewind, fast foward) as well as hook into some basic events coming from the player (time update, play/pause, skip, etc). 

Our Stream player is built on top of Azure Media Player (http://aka.ms/AzureMediaPlayer) so the Stream Player APIs when we start the project will most likely be some flavor/layering on top of some subset of what AMP can do. We'll need to ensure though that the player APIs can work in some way with our Stream player when it's inside an iFrame with some way to send/get info from inside the frame, etc.

thx @Marc Mroz!  so wondering if Stream Player is based on Azure Media Player, can we utilize that player API to interact with the Stream player/video?

Yes the Stream player is based on Azure Media Player, but we don't officially support in Stream the player APIs that work for AMP. Technically you might be able to hack something to work but there isn't a guarantee that it would always work. You should wait until we have proper support for player APIs in Stream.

thanks again @Marc Mroz...looking forward to API news in the near future!

Looks like this was in the queue, but it is 2021, any updates?
looks like there is still no such thing in 2023. It is so awful that a player doesn't have an API, how can I use it in any product?
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Amit Rajput (Microsoft)
Solution

Hi @danreil, thank you for reaching out. We don't have APIs available yet. They are on the roadmap but our focus for next few months is to get other higher priorities landed and then we will look at APIs.

View solution in original post