SOLVED

Select videos to migrate insider a container?

Brass Contributor

Is there a way to select videos inside a container and migrate them, not the entire container?  I need to test migrating some videos inside someone's container, but don't want to migrate the entire container just yet.

We may also have some scenarios where some user's uploaded videos on Classic need to go to different site collections on SharePoint. Through the tool, it looks like I have to direct the entire container to a single site, I can't split it apart.

Thanks.

6 Replies

@CaptainReboot  I do have the same requirement. Have you found any alternative for this ?

best response confirmed by CaptainReboot (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@CaptainReboot 

You can choose to do something like add Tags to videos to just migrate those files. 

Stream (Classic) to Stream (on SharePoint) migration tool - Microsoft Stream | Microsoft Learn

@KrisSub2023 Nope.  It's annoying that the tool assumes you want all the videos going to the same spot.  What I will most likely to is migrate all the videos from a container to one SharePoint site, and then move them to where they're supposed to go.  Luckily for us, videos in Stream Classic today are rarely re-watched so we are not too worried about getting the older videos over.

That's a good tip. It would require us to retag everything but it's better than nothing. Plus we're not too concerned about getting all the older videos over to the new Stream right away, as most videos, if not all videos are shared through links, and those will still be accessible since we won't close off Stream Classic until early next year.

Thanks!

I can't believe they haven't given us the option to choose which videos we want within a specific container. Some of our power users have 100s of videos and only want to carry a small number over, and compliance/retention policies in 365 can make it tricky to delete once migrated. Going through them all and figuring out which ones need tags adding so we can do it that way is so time consuming, especially for a forced change!

@karen_dredske 
It appears as though you can only assign tags to containers which still doesn't allow you to select specific videos within a container to migrate.  

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by CaptainReboot (Brass Contributor)