how to do a hotmail advanced search command

Copper Contributor

Dear community members

I am using Hotmail (or outlook, not sure, it’s an old Hotmail account which used to be logged in through Hotmail.com but now that just takes me to outlook.live.com, on chrome on windows system).

I am looking through emails in a period spanning 3-4 years. I have identified several email addresses as my search targets. Going through them I thought I would save time by using the “-“ i.e. minus command as a short cut. All my search commands were put in the keyword field. For example my email address search 1 for email address “x” I would use “x”, for my 2nd email address, address “y”, I would using “y AND -x”. For email dress “z” third search I used “z AND -x AND y” and so on. I went through several searches before I realised that some emails were missing and that the commands above couldn’t provide me with a clear formula of what was happening with my results. Experimenting with different email search results’ numbers started giving me different conclusion on what the results actually mean. I tried using the “NOT” instead of the “-“ command and or viewing emails as single emails rather than conversations however there were still discrepancies in the number of results.

I have therefore decided that I will repeat searches while excluding search results done in the past. So how do I do this i.e. designate my new search and then a command that incorporates the old searches in a way that tells the computer to exclude them from the results. I also want to be able to run multiple searches (like “term 1 OR term 2” command) and exclude multiple searches in the same command.

I need your help as I am very late on my tasks.

0 Replies