"Users may register their devices with Microsoft Entra" grayed out. Neither Intune nor MDM in use

Copper Contributor

Hi, all.

I want to prevent users from registering their personal devices in Entra. The option to do so in Identity -> Devices -> All Devices - > Device Settings  is grayed out. The explanation there doesn't apply to my case. It reads "Enrollment with Microsoft Intune or Mobile Device Management for Office 365 requires Device Registration. If you have configured either of these services, ALL will be selected and the button will be disabled." The thing is that I have configured neither, so the button should not be disabled.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

2 Replies
Double-check that Microsoft Intune or Mobile Device Management (MDM) for Office 365 is indeed not configured in any way in your environment. Sometimes, settings can be enabled inadvertently or as part of a different configuration process.

Ensure that your organization's licenses and subscriptions are in order. In some cases, features or settings might be affected by the type of license or subscription you have, or that is assigned to your admin account.

Verify that you are logged in with an account that has Global Administrator privileges. Some settings in the Microsoft Entra admin center are only accessible to users with this level of permission.

@Joe Stocker thanks for your prompt reply.

Re: Intune and MDM, I don't know what to check. I never set it up, and when I go to the portals there is nothing there. Please see attached to see how they look. What should I be looking for? 

Re; licenses and subscriptions, I don't know what you mean by them being in order. Now, if that feature is not available on all subscription levels, I don't know. The other toggles in that page are available, and there is no mention of which specific licenses levels are needed in MS's learn pages.

Re: the account, my account is the only Global Admin.

Thanks in advance