Azure AD Bulk Enrollment Failure Using BPRT on Windows 10 LTSC

Microsoft

Hi all,

I'm in the process of migrating a bunch of AD/SCCM devices to AAD/Intune. Some of those devices are running Windows 10 LTSC. I'm using this process:

https://o365blog.com/post/bprt/

Basically, I use the Windows Configuration Designer to create a bulk enrollment package that is applied on the device as a provisioning package. (PPKG) The WCD creates a dummy user in AAD and enrolls the device as that user.

This was working previously but started failing to enroll in the last couple weeks. I have verified that my enrollment PPKG works fine with other OS'es like Win11 current branch. The same bulk enrollment .PPKG works on Win11 CB but fails on Win10 LTSC 2019. I've tried to rule out as many other factors and am still working on removing all variables from my LTSC image.

This is the error I'm getting in the DeviceManagement-Enterprise-Diagnostics-Provider event log:

MDM ConfigurationManager: Command failure status. Configuration Source ID: (43fd7180-c4f9-44fe-88dd-aab761f1d800), Enrollment Name: (Provisioning), Provider Name: (AADJ), Command Type: (SetValue: from Replace), CSP URI: (./Vendor/MSFT/AADJ/BPRT), Result: (Unknown Win32 Error code: 0xcaa2000c).

This is failing consistently. I'm not even sure where to start with this. I can't seem to find that CSP path in the CSP reference so I can't check if that BPRT is supported in Windows 10 LTSC. I know sometimes the version of the Windows Configuration Designer matters but nowadays, the WCD comes from the Microsoft Store so I can't really use a specific version.

Any ideas? Thanks.

4 Replies

@DanWheeler706 

Hi Dan,

I'm running into a similar Issue with LTSC. Where you able to fix it/find a workaround?

Greetings

Thomas

@thomasbiebledv-bvde  Same here. Did you find the reason of that error? i'd like to avoid having to regenerate the ppkg

@takescake 

We have open a case on this topic.