Microsoft Secure Tech Accelerator
Apr 03 2024, 07:00 AM - 11:00 AM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community

Group based licensing on O365

Bronze Contributor

Hi there,

We like to minimize the required licences on the O365 E5 (not sure does it affect to cost). Basically we would like to have one group like "O365 users" and assing default lincenses to regular users. But then,  some licences we like to offer for limited users only.

Question is, does this requires an additional group e.g. "O365 Analytics". We tried to add the license directly, but that complains about already existing group based licensing. Is there any other customizations available than the additional groups?

5 Replies

Yes, you need another group for different license configuration. Just make sure that users are only members of one of those groups.

Hi Nestori,

May I ask what do you mean by "only members if one of those groups"? Is there some limitations that you cannot assign lisences by multiple groups? Do you have any reference?

Good point Petri! To be honest, I don't know if there is any technical limitation. What I meant to say was that you don't want users to have for example both E5 and E3 as they have overlapping features.

Hi,

I agree about the E3 vs E5 licensing, they should of course be assigned due to two different security groups.
However, there is a couple of scenarios when you need to assign several licenses with one security group. For examples PSTN licenses who only is an addon to an E3 license for example.

Ok, big thanks for your clairfication :)

I was a "bit" worried after your first answer :D