Zoom in on PDF's doesn't work.

Copper Contributor

I have a PDF with named positions set to a specific zoom on a specific page. I created links to the named position. When you click the link it takes you to the position zoomed in, but teams immediately zooms to page width.

Also if you use Ctrl + Scroll wheel or Ctrl +/- on the keyboard, the whole program zooms in and out and not the PDF. The only way to zoom a PDF is to click the zoom options in the bottom menu.

I'm guessing this is a design shortcoming and nothing can be done to actually fix it.

My use case is an office map on the first 2 pages with office numbers listed on the map. There is a directory on the remaining pages. If you click a spot on the map it takes you to the listing in the directory. If you click a name on the directory it takes you to the spot on the map zoomed in so the office you are looking for is centered and focused.

This does not work well in teams because the zoom resets to the currently selected zoom level.

4 Replies
I think we need this, clicking through options, just to zoom in or out is kind of frustrating and very time inefficient

@jlbrp I hope your weekend is amazing, but it sounds like you are experiencing some limitations with the PDF viewing functionality in Microsoft Teams. Indeed, Microsoft Teams may have its own limitations and behaviors when it comes to PDF viewing and navigation. As of my knowledge cutoff date in September 2021, some of these limitations were present. While there might not be a direct fix for the zoom behavior in Teams, there are a few workarounds and best practices you can try to improve the user experience for your office map and directory PDF, I hope this makes your day. 

1. Different PDF Navigation: Test the same PDF in different PDF viewers (such as Adobe Acrobat Reader, Google Chrome, or Microsoft Edge) to see if they behave differently in terms of zooming and link navigation. Sometimes, different PDF viewers may handle links and zooming in a more user-friendly way.

2. Optimize PDF: Make sure the PDF is optimized for viewing in various PDF readers. Sometimes, PDFs may contain elements or settings that cause unusual behavior in certain viewers. You can use PDF optimization tools to remove unnecessary elements and ensure smooth rendering across different platforms.

3. Create a Simplified Map: Instead of using a highly detailed map, consider creating a simplified version that doesn't require as much zooming to view relevant information. This way, the need for zooming in and out is minimized, and users can see the key points clearly without zooming.

4. Link to Separate Pages: Instead of linking to specific zoom levels on the map page, you can try linking to separate pages where each office location is displayed in a more focused manner. This way, users won't have to deal with the zooming behavior on the same page.

5. Provide Instructions: Since you cannot control Teams' PDF viewer behavior directly, consider adding instructions in the PDF or nearby on how users can adjust the zoom level manually to view the map more comfortably.

6. Feedback to Microsoft: If this behavior is a significant limitation for your use case, consider providing feedback to Microsoft Teams about the issue. They may consider improving the PDF viewer in future updates.

it's always a good idea to check for any new updates and features that might address or impact this behavior. :happyface:

@jlbrp 

So I believed it's working in PDF reader on same PC? If yes, what is the product?

@Kidd_Ip, How are you doing today? I Apologies for the confusion in my previous response. If the PDF reader on the same PC is working correctly and allows you to zoom in on named positions, then it means that the issue is specific to the PDF viewer within Microsoft Teams. On September 2021, Microsoft Teams used its built-in PDF viewer to display PDF documents. However, Microsoft frequently updates its software, and new versions may have addressed this issue or changed the way PDFs are handled.

If you're experiencing problems with the PDF viewer in Microsoft Teams, it's recommended to check for updates to ensure you have the latest version. If the issue persists, consider reporting it to Microsoft support. I hope this helps.