Win 10 Update and problems with Outlook 365

Copper Contributor

Written for my client "Gay S"

My computer automatically  downloaded Windows update KB 4524570 and KB 4524569 on 11/13/19 and my computer began operating a little strangely.   I thought it resolved itself.  Finally my desktop icons and shortcuts disappeared.  I called my computer technician and he showed up on 11/30/2019 . 

He worked on the computer and realized that not only had the desktop changed, but, there were no documents or pictures in my account.  All of my personal data had disappeared from my account folders.  Fortunately he was able to move them back in from the "C" "users" folder.

We then realized that Outlook didn't have any of my contact's information.  We contacted  Microsoft  "Office Help".  That case number is  1000815489 .    He worked on it for about an hour and resolved the problem (we thought) . He restored our contacts.

After hanging up on the phone call, we realized that Outlook wouldn't open again.  We rebooted and that's when we found that ALL of our data was deleted.  Not only from our "accounts" but also from the "users" folder in "C".  

We again called Microsoft tech support and this time went to "Windows Help".  That case number is 1489407170.  We had "Mae" try to assist and after awhile she said she needed to contact "Level 3"  support, and came back on the phone saying they would call us back in 24-48 hours.

So far it is now 72 hours later and no phone call from "Windows Level 3" or anyone at Microsoft.

My computer Technician has now restored my computer complexly using my data backup software "Carbonite". 

My computer is now fully functional and has been updated to Windows 10, version 1909.

Since I have to now pay my computer technician, I reached out to Microsoft, suggesting they provide an extra year of my Office 365 subscription as sort of reimbursement for their technicians screw up and the fact that a windows update started this whole thing.

They refused, saying they don't provide compensation. 

So let me say again, at the risk of being repetitive:

• This was caused by a Microsoft Update
  • This was caused by a Microsoft Technician
  • This was caused by no follow-up phone call from Microsoft  Level 3 Technician

• Where is the responsibility on your part.  No call back is unacceptable. 
  • What if I lost my data,  un-replaceable family photos, contacts.   
  • My business dealings would be lost forever. 
  • Sends a chill down our spine. 

I reached out to Microsoft, suggesting they provide an extra year of my Office 365 subscription as sort of reimbursement for their technicians' screw up and the fact that a windows update started this whole thing.

Sincerely

Stuart Wohl

0 Replies