What impact to POP3 account if basic authentication was disabled

Copper Contributor

Hi,

We currently in progress to move our exchange online user to Modern Authentication. At same time we have around 800 Kiosk account currently using POP3.  I'm wonder what will happened to this account once Microsoft disabled basic authentication. Is it they still able to use it? or POP3 will not working.

Thanks

5 Replies

@Vasil Michev 

Thanks for your feedback. Did you mean with "POP 3 client" is Microsoft Office version? Because as i know MS Office 2013 not support modern authentication by default.

In case i run command to disable basic authentication Set-User -Identity hasmizi@contoso.com -AuthenticationPolicy "BlockBasicActiveSync" to our Kiosk user and they use POP3, they will unable to connect is it? Sorry if this just a basic knowledge, i read few article but cant fully understand. We just want to avoid issue on our kiosk users if Microsoft really disabled this feature.

Thanks

The cmdlet you are referring to is tailored to ActiveSync devices, not POP3, but yes, you can use it to block access to specific protocol(s).

As for Outlook/Office support for this, I cannot speak on behalf of Microsoft, but keep an eye on the blog space here.

@Vasil Michev 

Ok so based on your explanation, meaning our kiosk user possibly still can continue use pop3 when Microsoft disabled basic authentication, is it? But yes for sure I will keep research on this. Thanks a lot for your feedback.

@Vasil Michev 

After read few more article, I can conclude if Basic Authentication globally disabled seems no chance for our user to use POP3 anymore. Seems we need to prepare about this. Hopefully Microsoft will give enough time before disable this service.