User Unknown in version history

Copper Contributor

I got a report from a user about several files in OneDrive folders, showing 'Unknown user' in the version history, apparentely editing the files yesterday.

These files are not shared with anybody, and the user owning the account haven't edited the files either recently.

Now I searched for a explanation of this showing in the version history of the files, but only was able to find a answer from Microsoft, stating that it could be a deleted user.

In this case, the files weren't shared, so it can't be a deleted user having edited the files.

It only shows it when the files itself are opened, when you ask the version history through OneDrive online, without opening the files, it doesn't show this record. 

Does somebody know why this records of Unknown User can happen, and how to prevent it, or at least figure out what's behind it?

2 Replies

@Kidd_Ip I tried using the compliance center to make a report, but looks like tracking user activity wasn't turned on yet. So now I can't do a search for earlier dates. When trying to do a search for yesterday until today, I get empty results.