Outlook Web Access OWA Light Interface: "Bad Request" Error Message when clicking on Meeting Invites

Copper Contributor

Hello!

I have been getting an error message "Bad Request" whenever I click on a meeting invitation in my Inbox within the Outlook Web Access / OWA Light Interface https://outlook.office.com/owa/?layout=light

This happens within Mozilla Firefox and Microsoft Edge, in private and non-private windows.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Or know how it can be fixed?

Thanks!

9 Replies

@consultant1commandI too am having this same issue!  It began a week or two ago and its been frustrating since use the OWA Light interface ( https://outlook.office365.com/owa/?layout=light ) when working at sites with slow or intermittent Internet connections.  I just tried testing opening a calendar invite in the light interface and get the "Bad Request" message after I click on the subject line hyperlink. (see screenshots).  This same behavior happens in Firefox, Vivaldi and Edge. Microsoft 365 team, would you be able to look into this bug?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Our institution is also experiencing this issue when opening calendar invites in the light interface.

If anyone has a work around, please let us know. We do have a number of users that may use the light client for various reasons.

Thanks in advance.
Thanks @UsysAdmin and @kidd_lp for replying. I have a support ticket / case open with Microsoft. I'll report back if I hear any updates. :)

Hello all,

An update from today: My support rep now claims that the following are unsupported features of OWA light?

Kindly this [viewing / replying to a calendar invitation / meeting request email] is a known limitation of OWA Light. According to the official documentation, OWA Light does not support the following features:
  • Opening or responding to meeting requests
  • Viewing shared calendars
  • Viewing the availability of attendees
  • Setting or changing calendar permissions
  • Creating or managing calendar groups

I am still trying to engage with the support rep since this as of a week and a half ago I was able to view calendar invitations using the OWA light interface (https://outlook.office365.com/owa/?layout=light) whether they be from a MS Outlook / MS 365 / Hotmail.com  user or from a different system / service such as Yahoo!, AOL, Gmail / Google Apps, iCloud, etc.  I believe this is a bug or a regression in a recent deployment of Microsoft 365 / OWA Light / Exchange Online.

Does anyone here know where in the documentation it is indicated that OWA light does not support viewing or replying to calendar invitations or meeting requests?  

@langersit 

Thanks for tackling the Microsoft support! I too believe it's more likely a regression or they haven't announced the deprecation! 

According to the documentation that I found here: 
Manage your calendar in the light version of Outlook - Microsoft Support
Compare the standard and light versions of Outlook - Microsoft Support

None of these appear to support the claim that OWA light does not support:

"Opening or responding to meeting requests"

@langersit 
@consultant1command 

Hi all,

I found a workaround for now. I think this proves that this is a regression from Microsoft's side.

After opening the calendar event, you can go to the URL above and adjust it from "IPM.Schedule.Meeting.Request" to "Schedule.Meeting.Request"

ie.

https://outlook.office.com/owa/?ae=Item&t=IPM.Schedule.Meeting.Request&id=<randomstring>

to

https://outlook.office.com/owa/?ae=Item&t=Schedule.Meeting.Request&id=<randomstring>

I hope this is helpful for now.

Cheers!

Good morning and great news!

I when I tested viewing a meeting invitation in OWA light this morning in Mozilla Firefox it worked.  I was taken to the URL in this format:

https://outlook.office365.com/owa/email address removed for privacy reasons/?ae=Item&t=IPM.Schedule....

Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 08-49-54 Invitation Test meeting request title @ Fri Jan 12 2024 5pm - 6pm - Outlook.png

The interface looked as I would expect with exception that the details of the invitation including the Google Meet link were at the very bottom, requiring me to scroll down a few pages of white space.  However, I was able to interact with it (accepting the request and sending a response now) and it was successfully added to my calendar (see below) and was able to view the details of the request (or change my response) when clicking on the invitation from my calendar by taking me to the same interface and URL format as in the screenshot above.

Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 08-52-54 Calendar - Outlook.png

Also, the support rep called and emailed me back indicating that the Microsoft development team discovered this issue and is in the process of resolving it, and are closing my case.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Outlook Web Access Light Interface doesn't allow viewing Calendar Invitations.

Resolution:

We have identified the service incident of the issue and checked in a fix on December 17th. However, due to the complexity of the deployment process, it will take another few more weeks to get completed on all the data centers.

The change is in Substrate, which requires a thorough testing process to ensure that the fix is deployed without any issues.

If this issue arises again, please feel free to contact me, by replying to this mail, and I will be more than glad to assist you.

We deeply value your relationship with Microsoft, and we are committed to providing you with the highest level of service simply because you deserve the very best.

If you have any feedback or concerns on handling your case, please feel free to reach out to my manager (at email address removed for privacy reasons or listed below in my signature).

Your feedback is important to us. After this interaction, you’ll receive a separate closure email with an opportunity to tell us about your experience.

Thanks for choosing Microsoft.

Best Regards,
REDACTED | Office 365 Ambassador
For Microsoft Customer Service & Suppor
t

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While I am satisfied with the response and with the individual support reps, I was dissatisfied that for the representatives to even take my case seriously and pass it to the development department was troublesome.  It took several hours after the troubleshooting call and my pleading with the representative to escalate it to his manager if he was not equipped to help any further, and even when speaking to his manager, it also took some pleading to get the case taken seriously and passed to development.  I don't fault them individually but I hope the internal policy and process could be streamlined.  I am glad that a development team finally saw this issue and appears to have resolved it.

I hope this helps others in a similar situation with spotty connections.  Google Gmail as well as Yahoo! and AOL mail provide fully-functional low-bandwidth editions of their webmail clients, and I am glad Microsoft 365 / Exchange / Hotmail / Outlook.com will continue doing so as well!

If anyone else is still having issues, please reply to this thread and open a support case with Microsoft referencing the issue and this thread.

Thank you so much for going through that painstaking process, and persisting until a resolution. Shameful of Microsoft to not even have published a service advisory once they were aware of it, but that's typical for them.