Outlook error when doing a search

New Contributor

when doing a search "in current mailbox" or other I get an error


"Something went wrong and your search couldn't be completed"

It looks like there's a problem with your network connection

Lets look on your computer instead.


There are no connection issues and my online account is all up to date also


any ideas? 

49 Replies

Is your Outlook in cached mode ? or are you in online mode?

Connected to Microsoft Exchange

So in the attached screenshot, your checkbox is NOT checked? Does the search work correctly if you use OWA instead ?

after un clicking and restarting outlook... search now just spins .......searching and nothing comes up



Go To Outlook->File->Options->Search->Indexing Options->Click on outlook & Click on Advanced->Rebuild.Read the message and click ok. You need to wait until the new indexing finishes after try to search.

I also have the same error, as of early this week.  Ever since getting Outlook 16, however, I only used to get the "Something went wrong and your search couldn't be completed.", but the search performed anyways.  But now it will not.  I have nothing wrong with my network connection, and now I have to click on "Let's look on your computer instead" for it to turn up any results, and very slowly.


I am on Version 1804 (Build 9226.2114 Click-to-Run).  I have done everything that every article I've read has stated as a fix, all to no avail.  I have just rebuilt the index, also to no avail. 


I also cannot do any repairs or updates to Office as I get the following message:  Something went wrong.  We're sorry, we ran into a problem while looking for updates.  Please check your network connection and try again later.  Error Code:  30045-27 (1)

This message has been showing up ever since I installed Office 365, several years ago.  The only way to get rid of it is to re-install the entire Office package, at which time, it works for a little while.  After a few months (or I don't know how long because I don't check it regularly), it returns the error above.


Could this have anything to do with my search not working?

@Alane McKinnon 


Has anybody figured this out? We just started having this issue 2 years after this thread died.




@MikelReber  Coindidence, i don't think so, i also got the same error today... Anyone can confirm the right way to do it?



We have also starting getting this from all our users in the past few days.  Office 2016/2019 Pro Plus and H+B with Exchange 2013 On-Prem.


For mine, i just disabled ServerAssistedSearch in the registry, but we need a root cause, as this would be a huge pain to do for all of our users.


Value name: DisableServerAssistedSearch 
Value type: REG_DWORD
Value: 1


Reinstalling office fixed our issue temporarily. BUT we're already getting cases where the problem has come back.

@dlrash -- Thank you.

I verified this fixed the one issue the crept back up.



Value name: DisableServerAssistedSearch 
Value type: REG_DWORD
Value: 1


I will be applying this to our network via GPO until a real fix is discovered.



A client began receiving the message across their user base yesterday.  They use on-prem Exchange.  I rebuilt the Exchange Index on the server but same error continues.  Based on the other input in this thread I'm leaning towards a client side issue maybe a patch that was released?



Has to be client side - OWA searches are fine. I didnt apply any updates manually though and we have automatic updates turned off except security patches.


Odd. I'll have to keep monitoring this thread.



Just to back up what you said I also tested OWA searches and they are fine.  I think this may have something to do with a switch that was somehow flipped setting FAST searches to the default over Windows Desktop Search.  Client for now is increasing cache size on their computers that need a deeper search history and clicking the "search your computer instead" link.  Not ideal for sure.






Also to back this up, we rebuilt the Search Index on our Exchange 2013 and for some clients it seemed to fix the issue, but others it did not. Additionally, the index always reported as HEALTHY.   

OWA searches were fine.  Appears to be client-side.

FYI that Registry Setting to disable ServerAssistedSearch should work, if you can push that out via GPO.


Having the same issue.  Win10, Outlook 2019 Retail with on prem Exchange 2013.   Came up yesterday, appears to be affecting all users with Outlook2019

Had the same issue with similar environment as well, Outlook2016 was also affected.

I tried everything, from reinstalling outlook, recreate profiles, remove updates, rebuilding indexes, to untick and tick Outlook from Windows Search option.

Nothing worked, except disable ServerAssistedSearch.

Now pushing it thru GPO, but we need the root cause as it affects the entire organization.


The problem is caused by the April office update (16.0.12730.xxxxx).

You need to undo the April update.


"%ProgramFiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun\officec2rclient.exe" /update user updatetoversion=16.0.12624.20466


Later rebuild the index in outlook.


My tests show that you can later upgrade your office to the latest version and the search will work.

But just to be safe, it can block auto update for now.