No more multiple file versions

Copper Contributor

When using Office 365 and trying to attach an Excel file to an email, I get this error,  "no more multiple file versions. upload to One Drive to collaborate with others in real time.  Why does this error occur?

20 Replies
We are having this same issue and looking for help.

@n8vg8r 

Can further elaborate on how you attach the file?

From a local drive or sync with OneDrive?

@Kidd_Ip  She is using Office 365 in the cloud and opens an email, then attaches the file from her One Drive folder.  See error below.

n8vg8r_0-1678277897172.png

The user is using web-based O365 Outlook and gets the error when attaching files from her local drive, and OneDrive. Does not matter what size the file is.

Hope this helps

@n8vg8r 

When you send a file to someone as an attachment, weekly lets say, the recipient's work station receives the file in the Downloads folder. Each time you send the file, the recipient's work station renames the file with a version number. I believe there is a 99 version limit. I'm not sure, but this message may be saying that the recipient has reached the version limit. I am trying to see if emptying the Downloads folder remedies this message.

@n8vg8r It is a "helpful" Microsoft update that is hoping to keep multiple copies from floating about. If you hit Dismiss it will go away and send the attachment. I am searching for a way to turn it off for my organization, as it has caused more harm than good here and added to the emails rather than saving time. If anyone knows how to turn it off across the organization, please let me know. 

@JWalters18 I have users that send the same file every week.  These users can barely spell computer, therefore they use the same file over and over.  It is a big problem for them 

Yes, not all documents NEED to be collaborated on, but Microsoft has decided to ask it on all. It's ridiculous.

@n8vg8r Some of my users have reported this as well. Does anyone know how to remove it organization-wide?

@Evelyn_Rodriguez I'm also trying to find this. I have staff asking to have this removed as well. I've searched everywhere and cannot locate any switch or even PS command. 

The only workaround I have been able to find is to ask the end user to zip the file and then send it. Strange, but removing one drive and unlinking the account did nothing to resolve the issue of not being able to send an Excel file. But when the file is zipped the user could send it then and only then. Is this a bug issue that started with an Excel or Office 365 update??

@odella22The "No more multiple file versions. Upload to One drive to collaborate with others in real time" issue is not strictly Excel and the work around is to choose Dismiss. The problem with this feature Microsoft rolled out, is that the default appears to be Upload to OneDrive so even if users don't choose "Upload to OneDrive" it automatically sends as a link.
It doesn't seem this thread is monitored by any actual Microsoft people. Does anyone know who to tag them so maybe we can get an answer? @Sally_Richardson can you respond, or find us someone who would know the answers? 

We have tried everything. We do not get the option to "dismiss", and even "unlinking" does not work. Hence zipping the file. The user stated that file was never intended to be a "shared file" and that it loaded to OD without asking for permission to do so. This being said, Why does it still happen after removing the OD from the control panel>programs?? : -(
@odella22 they are most likely experiencing a different issue that we are discussing here.

I suspect that it is the size of the file in your users case - perhaps it is larger than they understand it to be. When they zip the file it compresses and can be shared. Also, it is probably attaching from the web based OneDrive so it doesn't matter if it has been removed from their computer.
You might want to contact Microsoft help and support directly from your Admin center (admin.microsoft.com)
I reported this to the help desk and am awaiting an answer. @gobind_Singh these folks are also having the problem. If anyone else needs to refer to my incident number with Microsoft to get help it is #35675476

@JWalters18 This is a browser issue, not an outlook issue. Clear the cache, close and reopen the browser, and the problem will be resolved.

@Andrew_Hawes No. It isn't. I did as you suggested and it is still asking to collaborate. (I suspected it wouldn't solve the problem as Microsoft did not suggest it themselves. They are checking with the internal team to see if they have a solution)

JWalters18_0-1680033248936.png

@JWalters18 Weird, because I had a user with this exact issue, but it wasn't affecting anyone else, and her settings matched other people as well. I cleared the cache for the past 4 weeks, closed and restarted the browser, and the issue disappeared. 

Keep us posted when you get a resolution