Login prompting for more information

Copper Contributor

I am the admin of the office 365 subscription for our small company, we do not have 2FA turned on, nor is it desired.

Recently when attempting to login I am met with a screen stating 
"More information required

Your organization needs more information to keep your account secure

Use a different account"

When I click next, I see a screen

Enter code

We texted your phone +X XXXXXXXXxx‎. Please enter the code to sign in.

"This sends a text with a auth code to my cell phone" 

If I hit cancel, I am prompted with a screen requesting additional details with green checkboxes next to the information I've previously entered.

I've checked all the setting in the admin portal, and 2FA is not enabled.

I believe this is related to the fact that I had a microsoft account associated with my company email address before we switched over to office 365, as this issue only seems to effect those in my company who had a microsoft account previously.

Anyone know to disable this, or to remove those person accounts associated with our work emails? 

8 Replies
Sounds like your clicking personally account when logging in instead of work account. This prompt happens when you have both as your describe. On that screen that asks which account to use is a link at the bottom that says click to disjoin or change the login alias or something along those lines. When you click that you get instructions on where to go to change that Microsoft account alias. Once you do that you no longer get that responses.
I before writing the original post I changed the associated person account to a different email address, changed the new email address to primary, and removed the work account. (Based on the instruction on the troubleshooting link provided by the login prompt)

Since then when I go to login, there is only one account showing which is my work email address and below it list it as school or organization (something to that effect) with no other options.

Ive cleared all cookies and cache, and even verified it in a brand new VM, same 2FA requirement.

Oddly enough, this doesn’t seem to happen when logging in from my mobile device.
What is the prompt for? Sounds like it’s windows 10 store type login stuff and not office 365?

The reason it is prompting this is because of the self service password reset setting in Azure Active Directory being turned on. If the user has no additional information to reset their password, then it is going to ask for additional information on log in. If you do not want to see this for your users, go into Azure AD > Password Reset > properties > self service password > set it to none. This will avoid the prompt, but will not allow users to reset their own passwords if they get locked out of their accounts. 

@Greg Red Thanks Greg. I found out the wrong account was added to the test group for SSPR.  I was going to use it for MFA testing and was curious why I was being prompted for "More information required" when I hadn't setup my conditions yet. 
So Greg's probably right in the original poster's issue (as well as mine).

@Greg Red wrote:

The reason it is prompting this is because of the self service password reset setting in Azure Active Directory being turned on. If the user has no additional information to reset their password, then it is going to ask for additional information on log in. If you do not want to see this for your users, go into Azure AD > Password Reset > properties > self service password > set it to none. This will avoid the prompt, but will not allow users to reset their own passwords if they get locked out of their accounts. 

@nick aquino  I have a similar problem (though gets stuck atrequiring more info), I tried accessing Azure. I get the same prompt. So what now?

/Jocce

I have same issue and I've turned off MFA in Azure, but it still persists.  

Please assist

This is an older thread, but if you're a Global Admin you are automatically enabled for SSPR and MFA. As such you should expect to be prompted to first register your details. This requires MFA as well.