Leaver mailboxes - Suggestions for automated retention

Copper Contributor

Hi community,

I am in the process of setting up a data retention program for my organisation, and seek some advice on how to manage mailbox once a user leaves the organisation.

For information: We are in a hybridised Exchange environment (Exchange Online and EX2016). All users are assigned Enterprise E3 licences.

What we want to achieve: When users leave the organisation, we want to automatically convert the user mailboxes to inactive mailboxes, and then retain the users inactive mailboxes for 1 year (that is 1 year after the time they left and were deleted). We want to achieve this automatically for all users, with having to manage it on a user by user basis.

I know that in order to convert the mailbox to an inactive mailbox, a hold or retention policy must be applied to the user BEFORE the user is delete, otherwise the mailbox moves to soft delete stage and is deleted after 30 days, but I am not sure how to configure the hold/retention policy in order to a) ensure the mailbox moves to inactive mailbox, and b) ensure it gets deleted 1 years after the user left (and the mailbox became an inactive mailbox)

Is this even possible? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

7 Replies

@dunnep26 

Hi, the Retention Policy is the easy part.  You would need to configure it like this;

Screenshot 2020-08-13 at 12.38.15.png

It's the automating the user deletion that I can't instantly think of how could be achieved.  Also not sure it's a good idea as it could be prone to error and accounts that shouldn't be deleted may accidentally get targeted for deletion.

So I would say that you need a process as follows;

1. HR informs IT of the users leaving date.
  2. IT assigns the user to the retention policy.
  3. IT removes the licence from the user object / or deletes the user object - thus making the mailbox inactive.

I guess maybe a flow or a form could be created to trigger the employee leavers process, but I would say that some manual intervention is always going to be needed along the way, and also that this is a good thing.

Hi @PeterRising 

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

I am not so worried about the user deletion from on-prem AD, the helpdesk can manually do this. Initially I was trying to think of a way to assign the retention policy automatically but now that you mention it, I think I can use a flow to allow the helpdesk handle this piece.

I do have one question which maybe you could help with. My understanding of retention policies targeted at Exchange, is that it is retains on an item level, rather than retaining the inactive mailbox as a whole. So the policy would retain emails within the mailbox based on their sent/received dates.

Do I understand corrrectly? If so then let's consider the following scenario:

1. HR informs UserA will leave. UserA has been with the company for 5 years (and has 5 years of email items) 

2. Helpdesk applies retention policy which retains for 1 year and then deletes content

3. Helpdesk deletes user/remove o365 licence, and mailbox becomes inactive mailbox 

At step 2, would the policy remove all email older than 12 months, so UserA would lose 4 years of email before the mailbox becomes inactive?

@dunnep26 

OK, so if you click on info next to the retain content setting, it explains a bit further as follows;

Screenshot 2020-08-13 at 14.39.24.png

So if you activate a retention policy for 1 year, and the mailbox contains items which were sent or received over a year ago, then this content will be deleted - so definitely something to be mindful / careful of.

Item-level hold is fine, any hold type is fine and as long as you have at least one type applying to the mailbox or items therein, the mailbox will be kept as inactive. Retention policies "translate" to in-place holds on the backend, and you can also use good old litigation hold.

Thank you @Vasil Michev and @PeterRising for the responses, they are most helpful.

At very simplistic level, what I am looking for is something I can apply and it retains the delete user's entire mailbox (and all the items, regardless of sent/received/modified date) for a set period of time. Almost like the old days of exporting a user mailbox to PST and keeping it in storage for a set period. 

To pick up on your point Vasil, "Item-level hold is fine, any hold type is fine and as long as you have at least one type applying to the mailbox or items therein, the mailbox will be kept as inactive."

It seems to me that it would still be the case that if a retention policy or litigation hold is placed on the mailbox, whilst the mailbox would be kept as inactive as long as there an item which fulfilled the criteria of the hold (e.g. in my example above, the mailbox contained an item less than 12 months old), it is true to say the any items older than 12 months would still be purged from the inactive mailbox throughout the duration of the hold? 

(At least this is what I understand from this - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/policy-and-compliance/holds/litigation-holds?view=exchserv...)

That depends on the type of hold applied. If you want older items to get purged, you can apply a time-based hold. If not, you can apply an indefinite one, and remove it once you want to get rid of the inactive mailbox.

@Vasil Michev 

@PeterRising

I am leaning towards an indefinite hold, which our helpdesk managing removal of the inactive mailbox after the necessary period of retention.

Thank you both for your suggestions and assistance.