How to set timebound rules for outgoing emails for specific users

Copper Contributor

I'd like to apply a time-bound rule for specific users email accounts.

For example, for user x:

• Intercept all sent emails and redirect to another email address, instead of the original recipient, for 7 days.
  • Between 7 and 14 days, intercept every other email (50% of sent emails), and redirect to another email address, instead of the original recipient
  • Between 14 and 30 days, intercept 1 in 10 emails (10% of sent emails), and redirect to another email address, instead of the original recipient
  • After 30 days, remove this rule, so 100% of emails are sent directly to intended recipient

Is this possible using Office 365 apps, such as Power Automate, or is there such a configuration which can be set by an admin in Outlook settings?

•  
10 Replies
There's nothing built-in for such scenarios, you'll have to write your own solution.

@Vasil MichevThanks for the reply. So, would this be possible using Power Automate? The problem I have is not really knowing where to start with implementing this using Office 365 apps i.e. which app/apps are likely to allow me to achieve this.

Hi @andrewj720,

there are several ways to implement what you want.  What email clients do you use (Outlook for Windows, OWA etc.)?

Our agents will actually be using Freshdesk which will connect to their email accounts on Microsoft 365.

Freshdesk is a service, as far as I know, I've asked you about the email client software you are going to use,

they won't be using an email client - they will write a message in Freshdesk (which will act as the mail user agent), which will then push to Microsoft 365 which will then perform the MTA and MDA (transport and delivery). So, it's a little like asking what email client I'm using which generates an email to you from this web page - I'm not using an email client, I'm using the forum service at techcommunity.microsoft.com, but there is a mail transport and delivery agent which actually sends the email to you - I'm not using an email client, but yet you still get an email. So, the MDA and MTA behind the scenes in the situation I'm attempting to configure is Microsoft 365 - this is where we configure the users' mail accounts, and Freshdesk is where they have a service desk user account which is integrated with their Microsoft 365 account.

Hi, @andrewj720,

sorry, I don't understand your terminology. To send an email you have to use an  email client.

"So, it's a little like asking what email client I'm using which generates an email to you from this web page"

You do not generate an email to me - you write a chat message using a web application.

Where I can learn to send an email via Freshdesk - could you suggest any tutorial?

Hi @andrewj720,

thanks. They said:

"Office 365 accounts - Actionable Messages will be available in preview for Outlook on the web users with Office 365 mailboxes."

So, returning to my initial question, they are are using Office 365 OWA as an email agent.

It means you  have 2 options:

1) an add-in for OWA

2) a Power Automate flow

Thanks - Yes, I thought a Power Automate workflow would be required. Is the right community to get help on Power Automate, or is there a specific forum for it - I couldn't find one initially, which is why I posted here.

Otherwise, does anyone know if there are any Power Automate templates/building blocks that I could use as a starting point? Or even better, an example of where someone has done this or something similar before?