How to check status on SharePoint Online file move/copy?

Iron Contributor

I began performing a file move from a personal cloud OneDrive for Business account to a SharePoint Online document library around 12 hours ago.  The amount of data was around 15GB in total.  There are still three sets of folders that haven't moved and when I attempt to re-trigger the move, I get a message that "the folder is already part of a move/copy operation".

How can I see the running details of that move/copy operation to find out why it has stalled, slowed?

8 Replies

@OneTechBeyond I wish i knew this too. It's one major issue when copying/moving files in One Drive SharePoint online, the uncertainty. Anyone know?

@Mondas 

Three years later and this is still a problem with moving folders on SharePoint. I never know whether you have to keep the browser open. Currently migrating some folders from a single document library to a SharePoint document library. I'm doing a four folders at once but nearly every time I get this message and can't track the progress. The move does still work though but is it in the background or foreground, who knows!

robnicholsonmalt_0-1713789831041.png

Just tried moving one of 335MB with 100 files, instantly got this error. However, the move is still running as I can see files disappearing from OneDrive sync and re-appearing in new location:

robnicholsonmalt_0-1713789991565.png

Its something Microsoft really needs to address. With all the advancements they are making to OneDrive and Sharepoint its a real shame that things like this still exist.
Unfortunately the SPMT only migrates date off sharepoint or local files, not from OneDrives to Sharepoint. For example, as a system admin, once an employee has left the org and you need to move their onedrive files into the sharepoint shared drive there is no GUI way of doing this which is a real shame.
True - been using SharePoint, then Office 365 and now Microsoft 365 for many years and there are still many rough edges, File management IMO took a distinct step backwards from LAN based Windows servers.
Although they have made this easier in that you can get a link to a OneDrive folder and move it from the web interface - assuming the web interface moves it correctly.