SOLVED

How to change the Dept field in AD user account so it is displayed under Outlook contact details

Brass Contributor

Hello

We are using 365 Business Premium. We have two Windows Server 2019 Standard Domain Controllers at our office. I need to update the details for two user accounts. Specifically, I need to update the Department section under the Organisation tab.

I usually update user account info by editing the account in Active Directory Users and Computers. I then have the option of waiting for the next poll period when Azure AD Connect uploads new/edited account details or I can invoke Azure AD Connect to update 365. I cannot change the details from within 365's admin pages because we synchronise via our on premise AD domain.

I am having a problem with this at the moment. Two of our staff need their 'Department' details changing. I have updated the Department details via the Organisation tab under their User account. However, it is not updating in 365. When I open a mail message from either of these people (sent after the chnages were made) and I select their contact details, the old information is still visible. 

I have looked at the details in the Exchange Admin center and the accounts are correct. I am quite clearly missing something very basic here. Can anyone help, please?

Thank you.

5 Replies

@PK Player  Are you using Outlook clients in cached mode? Then you need to manually "download address book" as the OAB is updated every 8 hours by default. How does it look when using Outlook on the web?

@ChristianBergstrom 

Thanks for replying.

After discussing this with one of the affected people she said that when she checks her details in Teams and her profile in the desktop version of Outlook (MS Office Pro Plus 2013) everything is as it should be. However, her details in an email show the old info (when hovering over her name) and when I receive a message from her although I see the correct job title it also shows the old department info. I use Outlook on the Web. I applied the changes to our AD 16 hours prior to creating this discussion.

We don't use Outlook in cached mode, unless it works that way 'out of the box'.

So, profile info under Teams and the desktop version of Outlook 2016 is correct. It is just in email messages that we see the old info.

Do you think it may simply be that it hasn't updated completely? I'll wait until after the weekend and see what state it is in.

best response confirmed by PK Player (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@PK Player 
Hello again, I am trying to figure your configuration out and my best guess for what's happening is this. First the OAB file on server needs to be updated and then it has to be downloaded on the clients as well. There we have 8 respectively 24 hours. In other words, I believe this is a case of waiting for it to synchronize (if not doing it manually). What makes me confused is that you're using Outlook on the web and still experience the issue. It could be that Outlook uses both the offline address book and the global address list to provide a complete listing of user information. Perhaps another member has seen this behavior before.

I am attaching this for reference

https://support.microsoft.com/en-za/help/841273/administering-the-offline-address-book-in-outlook

@ChristianBergstrom 

Thanks again for replying. I have asked her to check on Monday morning and to send me test messages to both my 365 account and a personal one.

I appreciate you taking the time to help :)

Cheers!

@bec064 

The changes have synchronised as you thought they would.

Thanks again!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by PK Player (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@PK Player 
Hello again, I am trying to figure your configuration out and my best guess for what's happening is this. First the OAB file on server needs to be updated and then it has to be downloaded on the clients as well. There we have 8 respectively 24 hours. In other words, I believe this is a case of waiting for it to synchronize (if not doing it manually). What makes me confused is that you're using Outlook on the web and still experience the issue. It could be that Outlook uses both the offline address book and the global address list to provide a complete listing of user information. Perhaps another member has seen this behavior before.

I am attaching this for reference

https://support.microsoft.com/en-za/help/841273/administering-the-offline-address-book-in-outlook

View solution in original post