How reliable is Mover.io for syncing data from Dropbox to SharePoint Document Libraries?

Iron Contributor

I have some files/folders within Dropbox that I want to migrate into some SharePoint Document Libraries in my Microsoft 365 tenant.   I understand that Microsoft offers Mover as a free feature to do exactly this.

What is the community's experience with using Mover for this kind of migration?   Does using Mover keep the metadata of the Dropbox files (i.e. date/timestamp, etc.)?

4 Replies
I've recently used it for a migration of about 2k OneDrive to OneDrive migrations and it was very reliable and reporting was good. The modified date and user was retained for files with no issue however I have not tested for Dropbox yet unfortunately.

It's pretty quick/easy to set up so I'd say give it a test before ruling out other tools.
Thanks! I'll go through the initial registration and check it out.

@OneTechBeyond

I am moving all my files as I speak right now (from an educational account (a free university account) to a personal account)). And what I can say is that it was painful at the beginning. I tried yesterday, and nothing was moving. I tried again a couple of hours ago, and at the beginning it was painful to see that nothing was moving again U___U But then, after being patient and waiting for about one or two hours to let Mover.io do its thing, it finally started moving some files, and it began to do it faster after a couple more hours.

12 years ago, I stopped using DropBox when they increased their prices and my university gave me a 1 free Terabyte (which Microsoft stopped giving for free just yesterday). Honestly, I still think DropBox is far superior to any other cloud service. DropBox is a Bugatti running at incredible speeds. BUT for the same price, Microsoft gives you the basic Office Suite. So, that's why I will stick to OneDrive for a while.

In sum, Mover.io is "ok." Just be ready to wait a lot of hours, and be real patient the first 2 hours, since you will feel like it's doing nothing.

It is rather slow. I have to move almost one terabyte of information. It has taken about 3 hours to move 49 gigabytes. So, I think it will take all day to finish (it's 12:55 pm right now). But if it finishes the job, I will be happy.

Edit: It took about 48 hours to transfer around 900 Gb. If you are planning to transfer such amount of files, be ready to be patient for 2 whole days.

These speeds seem pretty good for a single source / target. Rather than the tool causing a slowdown it is generally service API limits which determine the speed.

Where you will see benefits is when you are moving multiple locations at once. I would always recommend for anything larger than a few GB performing an initial sync and then a final "delta" when you are ready to switch