General performans question

Brass Contributor

We are currently running an Exchange 2010/Office 365 hybrid enviroment. We are slowly moving user to 365 but are getting a "beating" from the business. What they see is a slower performans in Outlook (thats expected when you move from your own server to 365) but they are of course not interested in the technical stuff, it should just work. Also, lately we see that some Office programs hang, Outlook a lot, OneNote also some cases. And then we have the BIG issue in the business. Password promts...... Of course when a user is moved they will be presented with a lot promts until Outlook "get in place again". We solved this by clearing all the autodiscover xml files after they are moved. But the other user still on prem see promts, I think because they have "moved users" calendars in Outlook.

But in general what I hear "on the pipes" is "THERE IS TOO MANY PROMTS" and the everything is blamed on Office 365 :(

I would like to hear from others that are in a similar situation or has been, it the experience is the same?

We have talked to others in DK and also several Microsoft Pro (from microsoft) and in general they all say, GET EVERYONE TO 365 AS FAST AS POSSIBLE. And that Exchange 2010 is not a good combo with 365, a newer Exchange version like 13 or 16 would work better, but this is only speculation I think.

I rellay need some input/experiences.......

2 Replies
Yep, if customer is so "sensible" to this things the recommendation is to move all users to the cloud as soon as possible

Exchange 2010 is definitely very old software now and you would have a much better experience if you run Exchange 2016 CU3 or above. Why that release? Because it includes a new version of Autodiscover that is used by services like Teams.

Generally, Office 365 is not super-sympathetic to old software, be it old clients or old on-premises servers. You invariably have a better experience when clients are Office 2016 (or click to run) and the on-premises environment runs the latest servers. This is critical when you think about it if you want to run hybrid for any length of time because your on-premises platform has to stay aligned with the cloud platform - and the cloud platform moves fast. 

If you can't upgrade to Exchange 2016, get all mailboxes to Office 365 ASAP...