Files & Folders in Sharepoint can't be recovered by Microsoft

Copper Contributor
Hi,
I hope it's fine to ask this question.
We bought an Office 365 years ago. We stored a lot of files (thousands files & folders) in Sharepoint. Last week, all of our files and folders went missing. This is frustrating, I've contacted the reseller and already submitted a support ticket to Microsoft. They replied that there are no trace of data deletion in change log at Microsoft backend. And there are no way to restore back the data as no trace was found. Even if they do the PITR, still cannit recover those missing files.

We really need all of those data back. Any idea how to fix this? And why this happened.
8 Replies
Have you asked support to take a backup of the day before the problem and restore it? This is something you can ask to support this...the downside is that you will loose any data added from the date you are asking to restore the backup

Does the site still exist ? Checked the recycle bin ?

In the admin centre, in Security and Compliance can you do a log search to see when / who deleted them and ask for a restore from before that.

I would strongly recommend moving quickly, Microsoft support don't offer restores as part of normal service, but do have data for a short period, only a couple of weeks as far as I know.

Yes, i asked the support to restore the data. But they can't since there's no trace of data deletion. Within 14 days but last week was the missing date. This is their response:
I would like to inform you, that we have checked on our backend and Pulled up the change log from 15th of April and there were 1034 changes made since then. But, there is only 1 delete activity found related to file/folder/item. Therefore, nothing was deleted post 15th April and we don’t have PITR coverage beyond 14 days. We could have done a recycle bin restore at the backend. But, there is nothing in the backend recycle bin too. So, we won’t be able to recover any files for you.
The site still exists. Microsoft checked the backend recycle bin also not found any trace. Here is their reply:
I would like to inform you, that we have checked on our backend and Pulled up the change log from 15th of April and there were 1034 changes made since then. But, there is only 1 delete activity found related to file/folder/item. Therefore, nothing was deleted post 15th April and we don’t have PITR coverage beyond 14 days. We could have done a recycle bin restore at the backend. But, there is nothing in the backend recycle bin too. So, we won’t be able to recover any files for you.

Take a look at the audit logs following this

https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/Search-the-audit-log-in-the-Office-365-Security-Compliance-...

Perhaps they aren't deleted, just moved somewhere else? Audit log will tell you what activity happened.

@CN United - your best option is to work with support on this ticket/case as this community might be able to help you find resources/articles/scripts to see what is going on, but Support really should own this.  Can you private message me your case # and the support person you are working with?  I can at least help to internally track this down and get whatever detail I can.  But I would continue working with support if I were you to get to a resolution.

Thank you. I will private message you about the support.
Microsoft support said this can't be solved (as previous reply) makes me want to ask the communities here about their advises.
Ok thanks! I'll try this later and see.

I wonder why microsoft support didn't direct me to this? Is it same as data change log?