SOLVED

Exchange 2010 migration to o365

Copper Contributor

Hello All!

Has anyone used the exchange migration tools and if so did you have public folders?  I'm looking at different tools such as skykick but it looks like the built in tools can do everything so I'm trying to justify why we would use third party tools?

Let me know. 

Thanks!

12 Replies
The native Exchange hybrid tools work very well for a migration if you take the time to learn the processes and know what you're doing. You can indeed migrate public folders that way as well.

The advantage of third party tools sometimes is (sometimes) less need for advanced knowledge. Generally easier to use, but you loose some of the "hybrid availability" advantages of doing a hybrid migration.

Lastly, if you think you might need help, there's a large Microsoft Partner community that you could engage to work with.

Here's a good overview of all the migration methods: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/ways-to-migrate-multiple-email-accounts-to-office-365-0a491...

Hello Eddie,

Take a look at this article: https://www.codetwo.com/admins-blog/migrate-exchange-2010-office-365/. It's about different options you have when migrating from Exchange 2010 to Office 365.

One of the options is using CodeTwo Office 365 Migration: https://www.codetwo.com/office-365-migration/. It migrates both user mailboxes and public folders.  

As for the benefits of using CodeTwo migration tool, I think the following may interest you most:

- it is easier for the admin to handle the migration tasks (no scripting, 100% GUI, user-friendly reports from the migration progress, etc.)

- as it automates the migration you can finish it faster (source and target server connection wizards, automatic user account/mailbox creation and assigning licenses in Office 365, etc.)

- you can schedule the migration ahead (the migration jobs will start automatically at a scheduled time)

- no downtime.

For some hands-on experience, you can also download and run a free trial version. 

All the best,

Adam

Hi Eddie,

It depends. Are you plan to move all your mailboxes to Office 365 and decommissioning Exchange on-premises (which includes remove Azure AD Connect) and go cloud-only or do you need to keep some systems on-premises and synchronize your identities to Azure AD?

First, make sure you can clarify your identity part and then plan your migration strategy.

yes thanks for your reply, right now we're in hybrid mode with AD Connect and plan to move all mailboxes to O365.  In addition what is best practice for SSO, do we need to be federated?

Thanks,

During your hybrid identity scenario, you can use password synchronization or PTA with AAD Connect, as well as AD FS (it depends on your needs).

If you plan to remove all your on-premises stuff, you can use Azure AD Join / Hybrid Azure AD Join to leverage SSO for all cloud applications.
Is MS doing away with AD FS for O365 or if you want the true seamless experience that's still the way to go?
best response confirmed by Eddie Sardinha (Copper Contributor)
Solution
No, you can use AD FS as well. But it makes no sense to provision 4 servers (2x AD FS, 2x Proxy) only for accessing Office 365 services. PTA and Azure AD Seamless SSO leverages “true” SSO.

If you have AD FS already in place and maybe using it for other on-prem apps, go ahead. Also you can connect other third party authentication methods like RSA, etc. without AD FS.

I would recommend to use the easiest and simplest method and do not provision any additional servers if you haven’t them yet.
great thanks!

ok

For Exchange to office 365 migration, you can use a third party Exchange migration software. I would like to recommend Kernel Migrator for Exchange software. It can help in Exchange to exchange migration, Office 365 to Office 365 migration, Exchange to Office 365 migration, etc.

@Eddie Sardinha 

We recommend you to try EdbMails Exchange migration.  You can achieve all possible migration with this tool.
1. Exchange Primary mailbox migration
2. Public folder migration
3. Shared mailbox migration
4. Archive mailbox migration.
5. Office 365 tenant migration

6. Office 365 Public folder migration

7. Office 365 Shared mailbox migration

8. Office 365 in-place archive mailbox migration.

9. Hosted Exchange to Office 365 migration.

You migrate to your target Exchange server or to Office 365 server.

Exchange MigrationExchange Migration

Download the free version of Exchange Migrator tool from KernelApps Tool. The software is compatible with all MS Exchange versions. To get the complete software procedure, visit- https://www.nucleustechnologies.com/blog/migrate-exchange-2010-mailboxes-to-office-365/
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Eddie Sardinha (Copper Contributor)
Solution
No, you can use AD FS as well. But it makes no sense to provision 4 servers (2x AD FS, 2x Proxy) only for accessing Office 365 services. PTA and Azure AD Seamless SSO leverages “true” SSO.

If you have AD FS already in place and maybe using it for other on-prem apps, go ahead. Also you can connect other third party authentication methods like RSA, etc. without AD FS.

I would recommend to use the easiest and simplest method and do not provision any additional servers if you haven’t them yet.

View solution in original post