Enable Sensitivity Labels for Containers - Learn Article Query

Copper Contributor

We have a QA and Production 365 tenant and are looking to enable sensitivity labels for containers. Checking the both tenants using:

$Setting = Get-MgBetaDirectorySetting | where { $_.DisplayName -eq "Group.Unified"}

$Setting.Values

I can see that these labels have been enabled in QA and that Production shows that the labels are not yet enabled.

Unfortunately, QA was enabled some time in the past. Rather than jumping straight into Production, I'd like to disable labels in QA and then reenable them. This will allow me to check the validity of the MSFT learn commands shown on : Assign sensitivity labels to groups - Microsoft Entra ID | Microsoft Learn

The following article Use sensitivity labels with Microsoft Teams, Microsoft 365 Groups, and SharePoint sites | Microsoft ... has a section on how to disable labels for containers. However, it doesn't make sense to me. It states 'to disable the feature, in step 5, specify $setting["EnableMIPLabels"] = "False"'.

I can't see how applying this command to step 5 does anything. Step 5 is about checking whether a change has been made, not making the change. Step 4 is where the setting change is made (set EnableMIPLabels to True).

To me, the command to run would be:

$params = @{

Values = @(

@{

Name = "EnableMIPLabels"

Value = "False"

}

)

}

Update-MgBetaDirectorySetting -DirectorySettingId $Setting.Id -BodyParameter $params

What are people thoughts.

I'm calling the process into questions as Step 3 also doesn't work as the article suggests. If I run $grpUnifiedSetting = Get-MgBetaDirectorySetting -Search DisplayName:"Group.Unified" in QA, where I know the setting is enabled, nothing happens. The article says if nothing happens, then labels haven't been enabled, which I know is incorrect. (for me the above command doesn't do anything, only set a variable to contain a value.

0 Replies