SOLVED

Copy a Microsoft Teams channel chat to another Microsoft Teams channel conversation

Copper Contributor

Hi All,

we are trying to copy a Microsoft Teams channel chat to another Microsoft Teams channel conversation.

Please suggest if this is feasible and if any body has implemented the same.

Regards.

Avinash.

9 Replies

Thanks for responding on this quickly. I am aware that moving conversations from one channel to another channel is not possible.

Please confirm if copying conversations from one channel to another channel is also not possible.

Regards.
Avinash.

best response confirmed by RhanaCassidy (Microsoft)
Solution

@Avinash_Damera the process is going to be a chore, but you can use multi-channel posts as a workaround: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/cross-post-a-channel-conversation-in-teams-9c1252a3-67ef-...

Just edit any post you need to copy and include the target channel, then remove the original one.

@CMD_KEEN wrote:

... you can use multi-channel posts as a workaround: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/cross-post-a-channel-conversation-in-teams-9c1252a3-67ef-...

Just edit any post you need to copy and include the target channel, then remove the original one.

I just ran into an unexpected problem with this approach.  The MS support document states that when editing a cross-post message that "you can remove channels from the list" - but fails to say that it is not possible to remove it from the original channel in which the message was posted.

The screen-shot below shows that I can add new channels and remove the message from the "Internal IT" private channel and/or the non-private "Test channel", but I cannot remove it from the "General" channel.

RichardBradley_1-1677859327118.png

This limitation seems to make it impossible to actually move a message from one place to another.

Any ideas?

I've found what I was doing wrong!!!
If I edit the message from one of the other channels then I can remove it from the "General" channel.
The above approach works - I just need to remember that I must be editing the message in a channel that needs to keep it so that I can drop it from the other(s).

@RichardBradley Hi Richard, yeah it seems you'll first need to share the post with (an)other channel(s) before it can be deleted from the source channel.

Hope this helps:

Teams - Migrate Post using Multi Channel.jpg

@CMD_KEEN - thanks.  I had already posted it in another channel and saved it.  The problem was I needed to switch to the other channel first and edit it from there in order to remove the post from the original channel.

@RichardBradley - I don't think it's necessary to switch channels, in my example I've shared and then deleted the post, all from the source channel.

Edit: Maybe you tried to remove the post from the source channel by doing an edit and then trying to remove the channel from the multiple channels listed? (hope that makes sense.) But you could do a delete on the post instead and it will offer you if you want to remove it from all channels it's been posted in or only the current one.

@CMD_KEENMy experience has been that you can cross-post the posts as a method of moving them to another channel, but the replies to not transfer. Am I missing a step in the process?

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by RhanaCassidy (Microsoft)
Solution

@Avinash_Damera the process is going to be a chore, but you can use multi-channel posts as a workaround: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/cross-post-a-channel-conversation-in-teams-9c1252a3-67ef-...

View solution in original post