You can only add individual people from inside or outside your organization

Copper Contributor

I cannot figure this one out.

We have 3 users on different machines with Office Pro Plus (2016) on Windows 7 (fully patched) that cannot add users to O365 Groups through Outlook. They can view, create, and delete groups, but cannot add members to the groups. They get a message saying "You can only add individual people from inside or outside your organization" even though the individuals being added are in the org.

We tested this on Win 10 1607 and 1703 with Office Pro Plus and it works there. No issues at all. 

Has anyone seen something like this?

12 Replies

What kind of user are you trying to add, external/guest user? In any case, try via OWA.

They can do it via OWA, but that still doesn't solve the problem.

Same issue here, any word on a fix?

This is similar issue for us.  I'm way out in front of our business users on 1707 Build 8326.2076 (first release for current channel - insider slow).  We control the version we roll out internally and this is still working for them.  Would be nice to know what version this breaks....

Thanks,
Greg

What build of Outlook 2016 are they running?

We're on 8326.2096 again, this seems to only happen on Office 2016 on Win 7.

I just investigated this issue for a support case we got in Outlook Support.  In case it helps anyone in the future this issue with Windows 7 is a bug and it is fixed in 16.0.8510.1000+.  To get the fix please update to that build or higher.

I confirm that this is now working again.  I'm on 9001.217.  I'm still on Windows 7.

Thanks,

Greg Jones

Thanks for confirming Greg.  I also wanted to note that those on Semi Annual Channel will get the fix in the next major update in July 2018.  Semi Annual will most likely get the build that is currently on Semi Annual Targeted 9126.xxxx, https://support.office.com/en-us/article/version-and-build-numbers-of-update-channel-releases-ae9424...

So , did anyone figure out what was going on? I just got added to this customers tenant. They created me a local global admin account, to help them with some dev wrk. Anyways, I am doing it all in the browser. i created a new O365 Group. I am the only member, i then go to the top right where it shows 1 member. I click on  it to add a new member. I go and try to add another local account. He is also SharePoint Admin, but I get the same results when i try to add a local user to this Office 365 Group i just created... WTF

@David_Petree I am not aware of any known issues with groups currently.  I tested adding members from OWA and Outlook just to make sure and its working for me right now.  There was a service event earlier today, https://twitter.com/MSFT365Status.  Its possible that was interfering with adding the users to the group.  I have noticed in the past that sometimes there is a little time right after group creation for it to be available to add users.  Please try again and see if you can get it working.

Gabe,
Thank You for the reply. I did wait a day and went back to add a user and it worked. I guess this was a propagation issue. I just have never seen this over the last 10 years of messing with Office 365. That is what got me searching online to find out if anyone ever seen this before and it led me to this post. All good now

David Petree
Microsoft MVP