Microsoft 365 Group Mailboxes Can't Drag N Drop Both Ways

Copper Contributor

Microsoft never seems to amaze me in their quest to over complicate their products.  I have been using M365 (Modern) Groups and creating via M365 admin portal.  This creates Teams Channel, Outlook Mailbox, SharePoint site/doc library, etc.

After putting in a lot of planning, we settled on each "Group" representing a real life client, which aligns perfect with our daily workflows (chat about client in Teams general channel, store client docs/files in SharePoint doc. library -- synced down w/ OneDrive files on demand file explorer, and manage Outlook email conversations both external and internal with Group mailbox).  We use Outlook group mailboxes not so much for internal communication, but more to "tag/follow" emails.  Example - my co-worker is set to email client and will BCC the clients group email.  In doing so, we created (or so we thought) a more streamlined "Outlook folder tied to a client" type structure -- i.e. we are using Group mailboxes much like traditional outlook folder in which you can organize and sort incoming emails received in personal inbox, by moving incoming and outgoing emails in/out of associated Outlook folder.  

It all went down hill from there, after realizing months into our build out (and over 100 "clients" later) that the moving to and from personal inbox to group inbox is a one-way-street.  Why on Gods earth Microsoft would make it soooooooo **bleep** easy to simply drag n drop from personal inbox to Group mailbox, but yet once in Group mailbox, these emails get served a life sentence without parole and can't move or drag back out, can't REPLY (must REPLY ALL which then throws the group email on the TO line, which you can't move to CC or BCC line), can't apply any settings from personal inbox, can't adjust conversation settings, font size, can't create rules, etc. etc. etc.

Come to find out, the blessing in disguise, and what's ultimately forcing us away from using Group mailboxes, regardless of how unimpressive they are, is our groups are filling up the max allotted size limit (but honestly, I'm glad bc this needed to happen). 

So, with all of my moaning and groaning out of the way, how in the world do I go about moving 100's of email messages currently sitting in Group mailboxes, back to personal inbox and/or normal shared folder?  And no, forwarding 100's of individual emails manually is not a solution, and neither is doing a "fake/dummy reply".  Also, even though most of these emails came through users personal inbox at one time or another, we typically always deleted this copy, because it kept our personal inbox clean and organized, and we never had to worry because we can always go locate a carbon copy in the Group mailbox.  

Any advice is much appreciated. 

3 Replies

@Blake_May 

Blake I just discovered this limitation too - Its not possible to drag and drop email from a Group to a Folder. 

It makes Groups pretty useless! (Or maybe I'm missing something?)

Come on M$, please fix this!

Kind Regards

Tom. 

@Tom_Keane_GCM - I'm glad I'm not the only one who is thinks this is a big issue. Like many other frustrations I have w/ MS, it's as if MS always seems to skip out on the "hey what obvious features are we missing" before releasing to public. Sadly, I've done a fair amount of research on this topic and it's likely that it wasn't due to MS "overlooking" this feature/ability, but it was intended to behave that way on purpose. And I don't know for sure but I believe it has something to do w/ standard email messages having the .PST file extension whereas "Modern Outlook Group" mailboxes use the .NST file extension to save/store the individual messages etc. (and I assume the original .PST gets converted into a .NST once dragged into Group mailbox). Again, this is my semi-educated guess. But again, where my main frustration lies, is MS needs to provide better info/clarity up front when releasing new features such as the "drag and drop from Pers Inbox to Modern Group" bc it's only natural for one to think you could easily drag back out of Group mailbox given how easy you can drag into Group mailbox. And MS, like with other app features/releases, should know this given they developed the program and just come out on the front end at the time of releasing the new feature to the public, with some sort of little caution bubble "hey the drag and drop functionality into MS Modern Outlook Group only works dropping into and cannot drag back out yadyadayada". Obviously even that's not ideal because I'd just prefer they allow to drag and drop back out but I'm sure there are coding/development/security reasons etc. as to why they can't, so just be transparent on that, before you put users/orgs. down creek w/o a paddle.
Our organization had the same issue with moving emails out of Group Inboxes. To resolve the issue I set my OrganizationConfig settings back to default per this site: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/enterprise/manage-folders-and-rules-feature?view=o36...

So In powershell I connected to Exchange online then ran the following commands to view the current state of each setting:
Get-OrganizationConfig | select IsGroupMemberAllowedToEditContent
Get-OrganizationConfig | select IsGroupFoldersAndRulesEnabled
Get-OrganizationConfig | select BlockMoveMessagesForGroupFolders

Then I set them to default:
Set-OrganizationConfig -IsGroupMemberAllowedToEditContent $false
Set-OrganizationConfig -IsGroupFoldersAndRulesEnabled $true
Set-OrganizationConfig -BlockMoveMessagesForGroupFolders $false

20 minutes later, and restarting Outlook, boom everything worked.