Visio Web Access will be discontinued on February 10, 2023
Users will not be able to access Visio services starting February 10, 2023.
Visio Web Access (aka Visio Services) allows online viewing of Visio diagrams stored on SharePoint Online and SharePoint On-Premise.
- Visio Services render Visio documents in a Web browser without having Visio or Visio viewer installed on a local computer
- It supports embedding of Visio Web Access Web Part in SharePoint let you add diagrams to a SharePoint page.
- Embedded Web Parts can be linked to data sources so that when data changes, the visuals (shapes, text, etc.) change too
- Web Parts can also be driven programmatically using the JS API
Recommended Steps for Customers Using Visio Web Services on SharePoint Online
Microsoft recommends that customers start upgrading to Visio Online. Visio Online enables high fidelity viewing, sharing, and collaboration on the web browser full page without installing the client for all Office 365 licenses. It also supports embedding Visio diagrams in SPO by using File Viewer Web Part and iFrames along with JS API programmability.
In addition, Visio Online supports richer scenarios such as find, pan/zoom, and Power BI integrated dashboards among other things. Moving to Visio Online will enable you to take advantage of the latest product innovations and ensure latest performance and reliability improvements that come from Microsoft’s Visio team.
Post the end of support period:
- Visio files from SPO will continue to open in Visio Online, but the user will not be able to switch to Legacy Service
- If you were using the Visio Services Web Access for web page viewing, you will need to resave your .VDW files into the new file format .VSD/.VSDX
- If you were using Visio Web Access Web Part, you will have to migrate them Visio Online File Viewer Web Part to embed Visio documents in SPO
- If you were using Visio Services Web Access Web Parts with JS APIs, you will have to migrate them to iFrame with new JS APIs in Visio Online to stop them from working
For more information about this deprecation and instructions related to switching to Visio Online, check out this blog.