Windows 10 One Note App Stopped Syncing, need to find local file location

Copper Contributor

I am hoping someone can help here.  I have a user that is using the Windows 10 OneNote App (not the desktop version).  She has a notebook that was originally synced to her One Drive.  At some point in the past several months, the One Drive location disappeared (either deleted or moved).  So the Windows 10 One Note App now gives a warning on the top right where the sync status is located, saying that it has not synced.  She has been able to continue to use the One Note App even though the syncing has failed for months.  So essentially she has an updated local copy of the notebook that cannot sync.   The user never noticed this and now needs to move to another computer.  

Since the notebook files are no longer on her One Drive, we need to locate the local copy of the files on her computer so I can move them to another computer.  I have reviewed many forum posts on this and have searched most of the recommended locations with no luck.  Such as:

C:\Users\user name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneNote\version\Backup

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneNote\16.0\cache
C:\Users\<UserName>\Documents

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Office.OneNote_16001.13328.20348.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

Plus several other file locations.  From my reading of the Windows 10 OneNote App features, this Windows 10 App version has much less functionality.  It has not File menu like the Desktop version and only allows saving of notebooks to One Drive.

So I am stuck as the One Drive notebook location is gone but the users is still using the App and needs to move it to another PC.  Can anyone recommend a way to get this locally stored One Note notebook off this computer so that it can be moved to another computer?  

Thanks in advance for any help!

2 Replies

@Pushhands pity there has been no response to this Q - I am experiencing exactly the same issue, and simply cannot find a solution :(