Unable to install or update OneNote for Windows 10

Copper Contributor

Recently, I find that I am not able to update nor install OneNote for Windows 10 via Microsoft Store, with an error code of 0x800706D9. Having Googled the error code, it is related to print spooler service. However, print spooler service has been disabled for my Windows computers, out of the security concern, which has again arisen from the loophole discovered on 11 August 2021. The details of the loophole can be found in the following link: https://msrc.microsoft.com/update-guide/vulnerability/CVE-2021-36958

As the security concerns on print spooler service are repeatedly arisen from the recent loopholes, the general public or laymen like me do not have sufficient knowledge specialized in computer science or related fields. Therefore, disabling the service is the only possible method to prevent PCs being attacked.

Before having eliminated the loopholes of print spooler service, I sincerely hope that Microsoft can consider skipping the requirement of print spooler service during the installation of OneNote on Windows PCs. OneNote is one of the Office apps that I frequently use on both PCs and mobile phones. Being unable to use OneNote across different devices causes inconvenience to my note-taking. It will be great to hear good news from Microsoft very soon. 

0 Replies