OneNote 2016 install major problem. HELP!

Copper Contributor

Hello All.

Earlier this morning I decided to give OneNote 2016 a try. I've been using the Windows 10 version. I googled "install onenote 2016", got a list of options, and clicked on this page.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/install-or-reinstall-onenote-2016-for-windows-c08068d8-b517...

I clicked on the "Click Here" link and downloaded the file. I then executed it.

This install wiped out my windows installation. My data is here but I'm back to zero in setting up a machine I've been using for a couple of years. 

I'm really upset about this, but wonder if I've done something wrong. One clue to what happened seems to be that any configuration changes I make now don't hold on reboot. I'm back to zero again. For example, I set Chrome as my default browser and deleted some shortcuts from my desktop. When I rebooted this was back to what it was after this fresh install that I did not want.

I'm going to send this message and then reboot again to see if something has changed. If so, I'll update. 

I really hope someone can help. I'd reconciled myself to having to setup Windows again as I like it, but not every time I boot up! I cannot do a reset because Windows tells me it's been more than 10 days since my PC was updated.

Thanks in advance, Ellie

1 Reply

@Ellie_971 

I don't know how to edit my initial post so am adding on here.

I rebooted and the same thing happened. The system did not save any of my changes, such as deleting a shortcut to Edge on the desktop and setting Chrome as the default browser. 
I wanted to show my son (working from home during corona virus). I rebooted. Then I made changes, again, deleting desktop shortcuts and setting default apps. 

I rebooted yet again to show him and somehow -- miraculously -- I'm now back to my old, beloved Windows setup, with my desktop photo and all my apps. Phew!

Still, I'd like to understand what happened as I'm a bit concerned about rebooting. I'm going to do so now and hope to be able to report that I'm good to go.