Office 365 cant install on the selected update channel

Copper Contributor

Just started getting this error Office 365 cant install on the selected update channel. We are cloud update.

14 Replies
Hi, can you share a few more details. Which channel are the devices on (check inventory in the portal and File > Account on a device) and also where you get this error message displayed. On the device? In the portal?

@Martin Nothnagel Hi, channel is Monthly Enterprise, error is on the device when trying to reinstall. Here is what is strange if a new device that never has had O365 on it, O365 does install.

I am the original poster just different user name.

Thanks

Can you share the XML you are using when reinstalling. I assume you run a setup /configure YourXMLHere.xml command, am I right?
This the file, was create in sccms O365 installer.
<Configuration ID="a7dc3b3f-7a22-4cee-b615-5d85aaf5d069" Host="cm">
<Add OfficeClientEdition="64" Channel="MonthlyEnterprise" OfficeMgmtCOM="TRUE" Version="16.0.17126.20190">
<Product ID="O365ProPlusRetail">
<Language ID="en-us" />
<ExcludeApp ID="Groove" />
<ExcludeApp ID="Lync" />
<ExcludeApp ID="Teams" />
<ExcludeApp ID="Bing" />
</Product>
</Add>
<RemoveMSI>
<IgnoreProduct ID="InfoPath" />
<IgnoreProduct ID="InfoPathR" />
<IgnoreProduct ID="SharePointDesigner" />
</RemoveMSI>
<Display Level="Full" AcceptEULA="TRUE" />
</Configuration>
Hi, just to follow up if I use the Microsoft Support and Recovery assistant, O365 will reinstall.

Sorry for replying late. We did some investigation, and we can repro the issue. The team is working on a re-release of ODT to fix the issue. Or in other words: You did nothing wrong, we did :D

No problem thanks for checking into this
Any chance you have an ETA? I just spent pretty much 4+ hours working on this and now have to reimage a machine because of it (uninstalled office and it wont let me reinstall).

I have 2000+ machines and I cant deploy Project or Visio because its broken across the org. And no I dont have a copy of an older setup.exe :(

Unless anyone knows where I can get one.
Hi, I have used this tool to reinstall O365, wont help on the 2000+ machines but seems to remove and reinstall ok not the best but it works until it is fixed.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/uninstall-office-automatically-9ad57b43-fa12-859a-9cf0-b6...
Thanks for the suggestion, I used the tool to uninstall and cleanup the system but, we are an Enterprise and have specific configurations. Cant use SaRA to reinstall. Im ok for imaging as I havent right clicked and updated my packages in SCCM yet and wont be until this is fixed.

I did some digging on an old server I had powered off ready for decom, and found version 16.0.16371.20378 (version from Nov 2023) of ODT tool and testing it now.
Currently we don't have an ETA. I will let you know as soon as we have one.
Hi all, I tested this version and it works. I will upload a dropbox link for others to download it.
A new ODT was published: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49117 This should fix the update channel lock-in issue.
Hi, seems to be working so far. Thanks for getting this fixed.